So you can't go to the gym...

Options

Replies

• MissMamaAndrea
    MissMamaAndrea Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I workout at home i have small children at home and a tight budget. I have workout videos but you can find videos on youtube... if you want to left lift household items... you can do it!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    That's why you use progressions. A full pushup only has you pushing something like 70% of your bodyweight. Do them in a declining position, headstand, offset, one armed, etc. to progress and build more strength. For squats you can switch over to one legged (Bulgarian split) squats, pistols, etc.
    It's not only harder to judge your progression, but squats are very much limited.

When discussing this a while ago I tried a pistol squat and could do it easily. As you'd expect, because at best it's like doing a squat with my body weight on a barbell - and I typically used that weight to warm up at the time.
    Can't really 'progress' from there in doing the moves considered the basis for programs like starting strength.

You're also put more of the exercise on to learning the balance rather than using your muscle.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    How about jogging or walking?
    A skipping rope is fairly inexpensive and skipping can be a good workout too :)

guessing people who can't really afford gym memberships probably can't afford to purchase a skipping rope either.

just saying izall.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Ok I was just wondering, because if you listen to most people here, the only way to get fit and really get results is heavy lifting... and it's not something that is necessarily doable long term, which is why I'm reluctant to start it (plus my gym only has one squat rack).

To be fair they are right. I used to get fed up of reading the posts of everyone saying "lift heavy".

I worked out at home for over 2 years, started with cardio, then body strength, then some teeny weights with good old Jillian Micheals...then bigger dumbbells with Chalean Extreme. When I saw the results of the latter I was convinced heavy lifting was the way to go.

It will change your body like nothing else.

I now have a gym membership and bench, barbell, dumbbells for home use when I can't get to the gym....it's really worth it!!
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    get onthe computer and look up bodyweight exercises. there are a ton of them on youtube. create your own workout for home.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I workout at home with Body Beast and dumbbells ranging from 5-50lbs.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Set up a home gym. I workout at home and got all my stuff on Craigslist. for dirt cheap. I'm talking 10 cents on the dollar for what the equipment normally cost in stores. I got a $400 squat rack for $40, a $100 heavy bag for $10, a $200 rowing machine for $20 etc.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly broke, and it has taken some time but I have built up my collection of home equipment with sales, Craigslist, thrift stores, yard sales and gifts. I've done quite well at home with free online videos or with DVDs and apps, and have collected a couple of kettle bells, an assortment of dumbbells, a medicine ball, and a foam roller. :smile:
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    OUTDOOR GYM. Free!! Check if any of your local parks have one. Get in some good workouts before it gets cold :)
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Start with bodyweight, and purchase bits and pieces as you go.

I work out at home - haven't been in a gym since high school. At one stage I even set up a makeshift squat rack using two chairs (I'm short lol).

I got my squat rack with bench, bar and weights second hand for $250. Someone somewhere is always upgrading or selling off their old equipment.
  • DeterminedBex
    DeterminedBex Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a gym, I work out at home around my children, I have dumbbells (varies sizes) to do weight training with, I use my body weight for weight training, I run out side on the foot path or on my treadmill, I also have a few exercise DVDs like insanity etc....
    I am 3kg off my goal weight all done at home, no trainer or anything!
    You can do it!
  • rza0704
    rza0704 Posts: 5
    Options
    I workout at home. I was able to get me a workout program called PiYo and so far I'm loving it. I don't really have any exercise equipment so it was a bonus that I didn't really need one for this particular program. It's saved me a lot of money since I'm not going to the gym. The amount I paid for this program equals a month and a half of a gym membership and I get to keep it with me for as long as I want without renewing annually or paying additional fees lol
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I started lifting a full thing of kitty litter and I don't even have a cat. lol but I can use it in the winter so it wasn't a waste.lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a gym, I work out at home around my children, I have dumbbells (varies sizes) to do weight training with, I use my body weight for weight training, I run out side on the foot path or on my treadmill, I also have a few exercise DVDs like insanity etc....
    I am 3kg off my goal weight all done at home, no trainer or anything!
    You can do it!

It's not about losing weight though, but improving strength and changing body composition.

I have 45 lbs dumbbells but I can already squat more than that... so there's not much improvement to be made with those.

I'm going to get an appointment to talk about stronglift 5x5 at the gym, but I'm more worried about what will happen to my body the day I can't go to the gym anymore honestly.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get an appointment to talk about stronglift 5x5 at the gym, but I'm more worried about what will happen to my body the day I can't go to the gym anymore honestly.

I don't understand what that means??

Like.. you think you're just going to turn into a puddle of flubber the day you stop going to the gym?

That's not how this works. I find that I'm not happy when I don't go to the gym- so if I'm away for extended periods of time- I make arrangements to go to a local place- or I workout doing HIIT training- or progressively harder body weight exercises.

But then when I get back home- I get back to it. It's not like muscles disappear over night.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

I'm confused. Do you already have a gym membership but for some reason you can't/won't be able to afford it or go or you're going to check out a gym?

And like Jo said you don't just suddenly going to lose your muscles or any gains you have made if you stop going for a bit.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about goals rather than "right" or "wrong". You can get a body you like lifting heavy, but you can also get a body you like with just running or just bodyweight or just eating at a deficit. After you wade through all of the "you musts," you pick a goal and find out what process gets you there. Ignore the rest...until your goals change. :)
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like www.fitnessblender.com for home workout videos much better than Youtube.
  • BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    OUTDOOR GYM. Free!! Check if any of your local parks have one. Get in some good workouts before it gets cold :)

exactly what i was going to say! walk some stairs. go to a park. just walk outside. bodyweight is free and resistance bands are so cheap.