Fitness trackers.

Lots of activity/fitness trackers out there any recommendations I think it would help having something on my wrist as a reminder

Replies

• chunkiedunker
    chunkiedunker Posts: 144 Member
    I was interested in a fitness tracker as i am starting my second round of weight loss. The more i looked into them the more i thought about what i wanted. the fitness trackers are a nice reminder to move and get a general idea of how much in a day you are moving. I was leaning towards garmon vivofit or the mio active. Mio active has a built in strapless heart rate monitor. That was kind of a nice feature that i wanted. as i started doing more and more research (as i tend to do with everything in my life) i came across the tom tom cardio runner and decided to order one for myself. it doesn't record steps taken. its basically a gps and a wrist heart rate watch. So far i have had decent success with it but have noticed it takes a little practice to find the right area to have the watch on to keep it from dropping out.

I know this doesn't really help you out, but i guess what i was getting at here was that after i thought about what i really needed, i didn't need the glorified pedometer. I already know that i am not moving enough in a days time. i wanted to know how much i was burning when i did move. and then force myself to move.

so what i would recommend is finding out what you really need and if there are anything that you really want the fitness tracker to do and start there. there are soooo many of them out there and so many do the same things. i really dont think you can go wrong as long as you are staying with some of the better quality ones. do take a look at the mio actives though.

good luck.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    I use a HRM when I work out, but I have had both the FitBit Force (recalled) and now a JawBoneUP. They both do about the same thing. Personally I like the Up. It fits better on my wrist. And, the app is better.
  • Jayma375
    Jayma375 Posts: 60 Member
    I decided I wanted to get a fitness band after finding that I did better with my eating after starting MFP because I like the game of trying to get the amt of protein my Dr. wanted me to get but keep it under 1300 calories. I thought I would feel the same way about tracking my steps. So I evaluated several of the fitness bands including Fitbit. What I found was that none of them are 100% accurate so I looked at other attributes to determine which one I wanted to buy.

I ended up with the Garmin Vivofit mainly because it had a watch battery that's supposed to last a year. I already have 2 phones (one for work) and an IPad I have to keep charged so just the convenience of not having to remember to charge it every few days. It does all the basics the others do but if at a later time I decide I want a heart rate monitor there is an accessory I can get at a later time. I could have bought a them together at a discount but I wasn't sure I wanted the heart rate monitor.

The big thing with any of these products is since they aren't 100% accurate you have to use them as a comparison to yourself. I used the first few days to see how many steps I typically take and then when I can I try to go higher. Another nice thing about the Garmin is it sets a goal for you based upon your average # of steps so as you increase your steps your daily goal increases too.

Good luck!