A Fit-Bit is totally unnecessary...

Options

Replies

• AndyRogan
    AndyRogan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I love mine, I used it to get 10k, then found myself aiming a bit further each week, to the point where earlier this week I found myself going for 20k in a day, and hit 105k in the last 7 days.

Its helped me push myself harder.

If anyone wants to add me, send me a message
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am a lazy cow, so it motivates me.

My SO and family all have fitbits now and have a pretty awesome competition.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing- for people like me, who are mostly sedentary, it's a godsend. Why? Because I can't lie to myself about how much activity I got. I don't look at it as comparing steps one day to the next, I look at it as seeing how active I actually was.

Plus, if I see I'm 4000 steps short of my daily goal, my mom also has a fitbit and she and I will go on a walk. Feeling my wrist do its "buzzy happy dance" (my term) is a huge motivator.

It's also nice to see what times of day I'm most active. I might forget that I jogged to class, but my fitbit will remind me- which I can't lie to myself. Just like how MFP makes it so I can't lie to myself about food, my fitbit means I can't lie to myself about how much I move.

*bows*
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    This thread is unnecessary
    I skip right past the threads I find unnecessary. I figure they're helpful to someone, maybe. Kind of like a Fitbit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I used mine for a while then stopped. It's nice to have an idea of how many steps you walk while doing groceries, a walk around the block etc... but now that I know, I don't really need to use it anymore. The calorie burn part drove me nuts though, because it made no sense whatsoever.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    This thread is not solely about me. Point is.. Certain devices may not be for everyone. I've only read the positive stories on here about Fit Bit so I threw my two cents in. Einstein..

blstr.gif
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    cat-yawning.gif
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I credit my fit bit for taking me from 3,000-4,000 steps a day to 10,000-15,000 every single day. Fitbit is the reason I park in the last possible parking space. It's why I take the stairs and walk down the baby aisle at the grocery store, even though I don't need anything in that aisle. It has motivated to take 4 mile walks on weekend days and to dance like a crazy person while I clean.

Everyone is different, but it has made a big difference in my life!
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Makes me want one. Anyone got a $100.00 I can borrow? :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Maybe one of the people who no longer use theirs can ship it to you?
  • Eselte
    Eselte Posts: 49
    Options
    I skip right past the threads I find unnecessary. I figure they're helpful to someone, maybe. Kind of like a Fitbit.

:)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Any gadget is totally unnecessary to weight loss, but for me my heart rate monitor (Polar FT7) is simply a tool I use to measure my burns during cardio, including running. Interestingly enough, the gym machines generally render more than 150 calories for my running than my heart rate monitor does. I don't think that I would wear a fit bit, though, because you;re supposed to wear it all the time and I just need the most accurate tool to estimate my calorie burns during cardio.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Your comment is even more unnecessary. :wink:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I washed mine in the laundry. First time it was okay... Second time it was broken.

Bye bye easy to forget piece o' junk! How dare you tell me my TDEE is consistently ~10 calories as the Katch Mcardle formula anyway!!!
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I washed mine in the laundry. First time it was okay... Second time it was broken.

Bye bye easy to forget piece o' junk! How dare you tell me my TDEE is consistently ~10 calories as the Katch Mcardle formula anyway!!!

If you contact them they might replace ;)
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

That's weird. They use Mifflin St. Jeor formula as a BMR estimate and your TDEE should be at least 5% higher than that from movement, even on the most sedentary day.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

That's weird. They use Mifflin St. Jeor formula as a BMR estimate and your TDEE should be at least 5% higher than that from movement, even on the most sedentary day.

Sorry I meant kma x1.20 (generally assumed for sedentary). Regardless, was exactly what I thought (and based my goals off of) I was burning for 3.5 years. Consistently.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Well, the confirmation of your estimate was hopefully worth something.

Mine has wildly varying numbers. I'll range from 1300-2000. So I guess if you take the middle around 1600 that is about what MFP estimates me at. But I know from Fitbit breaks that when I don't wear it I do skip more workouts so I'm stuck with it, for now. I stick it in my bra and never look at it. It's nice to see a positive adjustment here, though.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Well, the confirmation of your estimate was hopefully worth something.

Mine has wildly varying numbers. I'll range from 1300-2000. So I guess if you take the middle around 1600 that is about what MFP estimates me at. But I know from Fitbit breaks that when I don't wear it I do skip more workouts so I'm stuck with it, for now. I stick it in my bra and never look at it. It's nice to see a positive adjustment here, though.

Yeah It can definitely be helpful and motivating for some people. If it helps you be mindful of sticking to a routine then that's worth it alone!

Btw: Sticking it in my bra is what caused me to wash it one too many times! ;) be careful with that
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

Maybe one of the people who no longer use theirs can ship it to you?

Yes please :) LOL