Jogging

Options
So I decided to go for a jog today... Im new to this whole fitness malarkey, and can I just say I can't believe I haven't ran outside for years (since school days properly)... definitely beats a treadmill
The air felt so fresh and wonderful as it entered my lungs! And its free... I really do recommend it!

However, about 100m or so into the run I had to stop and walk, I felt like my heart was beating so fast (or so I assume- it was on the left side of my chest and I could feel a strange sensation). Is this normal? Am I so unfit that I haven't actually raised my heart rate up like this before. I go swimming and zumba occasionally but they haven't had the same effect!

Sorry for the stupid sounding question!

Replies

• dogpaws4ever
    dogpaws4ever Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't run do it arthritis and joint problems, but I can tell you if you have not run/jog in a long time there is a set way to get back into it without killing yourself.
    I know that someone will probably post the correct times and solution on here for you...
    But it goes something like this.
    Start out walking for two minutes at a fast past to get your heart rate up.
    Than jog ONE minute, than go back to walking two minutes.
    Repeat this process for your first few days till you reach 20 minutes.
    After a few days of doing the above times
    Switch to one minute walking, one minute jogging
    after a few more days of this, keep the one minute walk intervals, but up your jogging to two minutes. As you feel better keep upping the jogging time between the walk minute.
    Pretty soon you will be a full fledged jogger.
  • Cupcake_Kate1990
    Cupcake_Kate1990 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't run do it arthritis and joint problems, but I can tell you if you have not run/jog in a long time there is a set way to get back into it without killing yourself.
    I know that someone will probably post the correct times and solution on here for you...
    But it goes something like this.
    Start out walking for two minutes at a fast past to get your heart rate up.
    Than jog ONE minute, than go back to walking two minutes.
    Repeat this process for your first few days till you reach 20 minutes.
    After a few days of doing the above times
    Switch to one minute walking, one minute jogging
    after a few more days of this, keep the one minute walk intervals, but up your jogging to two minutes. As you feel better keep upping the jogging time between the walk minute.
    Pretty soon you will be a full fledged jogger.

Thanks for your help. It's very useful advice actually! My 'jog' if you could call it that consisted of me running out of the house all excited to start my new healthy lifestyle. This lasted for 150m or so before I felt the thumping in my chest and I had to take a little rest to catch my breath and I pretty much walked for the rest of the 'jog', with a little of awkward fast walk-joggy/jumpy things in between for good measure!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    One major difference in using a treadmill and going outside to run is the need to pace yourself when outside. The treadmill forces you to stay at the specified pace or you slam into the console or fly off the back. There are no readily apparent visual cues when you go outside. Keep your pace slow ... the simple sounding concept of being able to talk in full sentences is an easy to track system for beginners.
  • dogpaws4ever
    dogpaws4ever Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    AHA, I knew I had this saved some where, this is suppose to be a 9 week program:

Week Workout 1 Workout 2 Workout 3
    1 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

2 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

3 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
    Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
    Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
    Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
    Walk 400 yards (or three minutes) Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
    Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds
    Walk 400 yards (or three minutes) Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
    Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
    Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)

4 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
    Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
    Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
    Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
    Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
    Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes) Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:

5 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
    Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
    Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
    Walk 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
    Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes) Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
    jog two miles (or 20 minutes) with no walking.

6 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
    Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
    Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)
    Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes) Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2-1/4 miles (or 22 minutes) with no walking.

7 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes). Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes). Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).

8 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes). Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes). Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).

9 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes). Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes). The final workout! Congratulations! Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes).
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You are going too fast. Even if you think you aren't if you are out of breath and cannot speak in full sentences, you are!

Read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running?
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Download couch to 5k. Its free. This is a good starter point. Good luck
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the c25k program. Made a runner out of me at the age of 43 - if I can do it, anyone can.

Nice thing about the program is that there many free apps for it that you can download, making it easy to follow and track what week/day you're on. It's a great way to ease into running to help prevent over doing it and landing yourself with an injury.

I followed the plan exactly, completed it as written without a single shin splint. :drinker: And nearly 3 years later I am still running and enjoying it - and always outside, rain or shine! :bigsmile: