Planet fitness

Options
Does anyone know anything about or belong to Planet fitness? I do not have the funds to belong to a fancy gym but I have heard about this and one is opening up within walking distance to my place. Any advice?

Thanks,
Mary

Replies

• tmthorn0927
    tmthorn0927 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    In my area it is a cheap basic gym - ours has tanning also. They have a personal trainer that will will give you a plan for your goals and show you how to use equipment, but not work with you one on one. It's good if you don'g care about group classes or a pool. Check it out when they open.
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I was a member. Paid ten bucks a month and hated it. I now pay 40 bucks to go to a gym thats usually empty, compared to PF where I had to constantly wait for a machine. Place was a zoo, no matter what time of day I went!!
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have been going to Planet Fitness for (i would estimate) 3 or 4 years...I like it a lot...I always need to have the gym to go to because if I stay at home and try to work out, there are too many distractions, so I just get in, focus, do my thing, and leave...

One big positive is that it is affordable...I pay for the $10/month membership (plus tax)...I used to have the $20/month membership, but never used the extras that came with it (tanning, massage chairs, bring a guest free, etc...) So I downgraded to save money...plus they charge a one time membership fee (I forget what it is called), which I think is $39 per year...or something around there...which I believe is due in October each year...

I usually have no problem getting on the machine that I like (elliptical)...some times are obviously busier than others (around 4p-6p is probably the busiest, I would say)...I have been going (lately) for 5a-5:30a, although it will start picking up at that time too once New Years hits and people work on their resolutions...

I don't have any complaints though...the employees at my location are friendly, the gym and locker room are always clean...(way back when I signed up) they give you three free sessions with a trainer, so the trainer can get you started on a plan (which you can opt out of if you would like), and they show you how to use all of the equipment (which is especially helpful for all the weight training machines). I ended up skipping the free sessions, which I regret at this point, but oh well...I am pretty sure they still offer this, as one of my friends recently joined another location and is taking advantage of the free sessions...

hope that helps :)
  • iampam654
    Options
    one recently opened up in my city and I lovee it. It's so much nicer than the one I was going to before. Theres like a million machines so theres plenty of room and its really only busy from like 4-6. and it's only $10 a month
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Two complaints: 1. The one by me doesn't have a trainer. 2. They also don't have any scales in the entire building (they call it a "judgment free zone").
    Honestly, for $20/month I can workout, tan & bring my sister ... it's completely worth it for me!
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. They have an option now that if I sign up for the $19.00 plan I can bring a guest each time I go. That would work out great my nephew wants to go with me.... I don't care about a pool or classes. I just want to be able to use the machines
    and weights and be in a safe area. The colder it gets outside the more I need to find something indoors. Like baypathgrad said I have to many distractions at home so I need to go somewhere else to workout.
    I want to change up my workout BEFORE I hit a wall and quit losing and I think this might be it.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas

Mary