Surprise calorie bombs!

Options
13»

Replies

• arv51862
    arv51862 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Great thread, deserves a "sister thread" of foods that have been surprisingly LOW calorie !
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    the thing that shocked me was when I started weighing my food was how much a serving was. I had no idea that even fruit could have more calories even if the pieces of fruit were the same size. so no two pieces of fruit are alike(so weigh your fruits too). food packaging being off was a shock and I was too shocked when it comes to how many calories were in a small serving of nuts. also a serving size of oatmeal shocked me too.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I hate that pizza has so much calorie in it. I can eat 6 whole slices on my own in one sitting! :'(
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    ise311 wrote: »
    I hate that pizza has so much calorie in it. I can eat 6 whole slices on my own in one sitting! :'(

I know isnt it crazy? I now limit myself to one slice instead of 2 or 3 like I used to
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I remember the first time I actually measured out one cup of rice. WHAT? THAT's 200 calories? Same with peanut butter - my first legitimate "tablespoon" of peanut butter was a sad, sad milestone.

Honestly, I'm surprised I wasn't fatter.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I know isnt it crazy? I now limit myself to one slice instead of 2 or 3 like I used to

1 slice? Too little for me. I had to go down to 3 slices from 6.
    I still have a voucher of Domino's Pizza still unused... don't feel like throwing/giving it away to somebody else :'(
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I remember the first time I actually measured out one cup of rice. WHAT? THAT's 200 calories? Same with peanut butter - my first legitimate "tablespoon" of peanut butter was a sad, sad milestone.

I know how you feel! Before I started logging my favorite comfort food was making microwave peanut butter fudge. It's a miracle I wasn't 300+ pounds. Thank goodness I found this website when I did!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    ise311 wrote: »

1 slice? Too little for me. I had to go down to 3 slices from 6.
    I still have a voucher of Domino's Pizza still unused... don't feel like throwing/giving it away to somebody else :'(
    well,where I live the slices are decent size and one slice of supreme can be as high as 400+ calories.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Yeah then I actually weighed it raw then cooked and realized that MFP's value for 100g of cooked rice actually underestimates calories by 30%...

For me it's bread. Can easily eat 1000 calories in one minute.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Grapes, I can eat lots of them. Actually, most fruits, but grapes top that list. And apples were a shock too.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Nuts, coconut (and coconut milk) and avocados. Oatmeal, cold cereal, rice and pasta (suggested serving sizes still appear really pitiful to me, relative to the amounts I was used to eating once upon a time). Rice crackers mix, trail mix, granola, dried fruit, etc, snacks I tend to perceive as being the 'healthy' alternatives to 'junk food' are quite often really calorie dense and the suggested serving sizes are a joke.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I can't say they "surprise" me any more, but I'm bemused, annoyed, and sometimes astounded how many restaurant salads are just packed with calories. The bacon bits, the cheese, the croutons . . . And don't get me started on dressings!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything people have said! Especially peanut butter, 1 or 2 tbsp is such a small amount.

Also cereal, it was so sad when I realized my "bowl" of "only 110 calories a serving" cereal was over 500 calories with my serving size.
  • SoleilxStitch
    SoleilxStitch Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My favourite cheese was double the calories I thought and cheese is carlorific anyway. Going to see the effects of cutting it out over the next few weeks.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Apparently I make calorie bomb soups. Holiday posole came out to be 515 calories per serving of approximately 8 ounces. I'm fine with that, and can work it in, but now I can only imagine how much the cream of tomato, green chile, or asparagus will be when I make them. 0_o
  • bindwado
    bindwado Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Agree with so much said above. Like weighing fruit, I thought an average banana was like 100 calories but when I weighed a banana it was worth 220 calories, not that it stopped me eating it, bananas are awesome. But made me aware! I also pre-log my meals and exercise when I can to give me an idea of the day ahead and tweak if necessary so I don't overdo it in too many areas!
    Oh and I'm sure this is super obvious to everyone else, but CHOCOLATE, I knew it was bad but when I had a treat and logged it, WOW, it's like a meal in one little pack if smarties! Love this app to keep on top of it, really helps to educate on food intake.
    Keep