stress fracture clavicle

Options
Notes from physio: Turns out that stress fractures of the clavicle are fairly rare but when they happen it is typically with lifters. Been instructed to fully rest it (nothing over head, arm across body or shoulder sagging specifically). Most stress fractures are in the foot and take 6weeks to 3months to heal. But as mine is in the shoulder it "should" be easier to fully rest it. First step is to get no pain at rest which I believe I am already at.

Going to see a shoulder surgeon which should take a while so if I have rested it for a fair bit and there is minimal improvement I may look at surgery option which is basically chopping off the end of the clavicle that has the stress fracture and that should also increase the gap to the acromium.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this? If so, how did recovery go? Surgery required or not?

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Just found this. 17 cases reported. I suppose that means I am unlikely to get a response here but you never know :)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3022142/
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    That is a sucky thing to happen.

Hope you are on the faster end of recovery...
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    :noway: ouch!

how did it occur?...were you training at the time?
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Happens because I train a lot apparently. Not an acute injury but from repetitive use (despite good form which pisses me off a bit!)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The surgery is chopping off the end of the appendage? What frigging butchery is this? Be glad that it's your shoulder and not your Johnson
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    haha yep!

See how it goes after I give it a good 6 weeks or so off.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    damn chris that sucks :brokenheart:
    you'll be seeing a physical therapist too i take it?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Can't contribute anything but best wishes on your speedy recovery. Good luck.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Youch. What lifts stress the clavicle? Chest press? I've heard of runners getting stress fractured leg bones, from repetitive use.
  • chrisdavey
    Options

Always am. Perpetually injured :laugh:

I'd say the main exercises would be bench press, SOHP, flys, shrugs and anything that puts a lot of downward pressure on the shoulder e.g. deadlifts.

So pretty much everything I do.

On the bright side, I'm going to be able to do a one arm chinup on the right side sooner rather than later :tongue:
  • DavPul
    Options

Always am. Perpetually injured :laugh: .....

you should probably stop with all that crossfit. i have it on good authority (the forums) that the only way to get injured doing fitness activities is crossfit.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    haha. If you read it on the forums then it is definitely true!

When I was a runner, sore knees and ankles
    When I was doing lots of mma, sore knees and ankles (eventually tore hip flexor)
    Now that I'm focusing on lifting (hips, shoulders, back are the main issues)

What doesn't kill me makes me stronger? Something like that.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Hell, it might actually make you stronger yet. Nothing to do for a few months except add weight to your deadlift. Hope you set a PR and get back too 100% soon.

Cheers