Running bad?

cjusticeg
cjusticeg Posts: 90 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I've heard that running can hurt you in the end and is really bad for your joints, what truth is there to this?

Replies

• bump :happy:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    depends on where you run. Prolonged running on hard surfaces (road, sidewalk) can, after a long period of time, damage joints, This takes a lot of running and as long as you take rest periods most people will not get injured.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    I've heard doctors say that it can mess up your knees, and it also hurts lower body strength. I'd never do it if I wasn't getting ready to run a ton in the military.
  • cjusticeg
    cjusticeg Posts: 90 Member
    depends on where you run. Prolonged running on hard surfaces (road, sidewalk) can, after a long period of time, damage joints, This takes a lot of running and as long as you take rest periods most people will not get injured.

so would treadmill running be better:??
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    I just have one thing to add to this - there are a ton of variables! - but one of the big ones is that people don't plan carefully enough how much they are running, or they increase too much too quickly, which leads to injury (ouch!)

"The 10-percent rule (10PR) is one of the most important and time-proven principles in running. It states that you should never increase your weekly mileage by more than 10 percent over the previous week."

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--1051-0,00.html

This article was great in helping me go slow-and-steady so I can build up mileage without the high risk of hurting my knees/legs/ankles/anything!
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    If you are running on a track change directions and run the opposite way so you do not create muscle imbalances in your legs.
  • I am in the best shape of my life, guess how I got here. Are you going to die of joint pain or sedentary lifestyle? If you want to run, run! If not ,Cycle, if not that, swim, if not that, move your body some other way. I assume you would not ask the question if you did not want to run. I have had two Dr's tell me not to run. I have decided to let my body tell me when to stop. I hurt a lot more when I was old and fat, so, I think I have made a good trade. In fact it was the las trip to get the knee pain figured out when I heard the last admonition that running was bad, my Dr runs so go figure, I think it is part of the Hippocratic oath to discourage runners. Any way, my knee is only pain free while I run, it is much better since I started running. I also started cycling so that may be the reason it is better but so far running has not stopped life as I know it. Again, if you want to run, run, but listen to your body. I run through pain but never injury, you should be able to tell the difference.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Also make sure you stretch your feet really well. Muscle and ligament strains in the foot often go ignored, but they typically lead to overcompensation injuries in the knees and hips for runners.

Getting the right shoes will help a ton, and if you've never been to a specialty store and had a gait analysis done, you probably are not wearing the right shoes for your foot.

Running isn't bad, but because it is a strenuous exercise, you just need to really keep an eye out for joint pain and unusual muscle pain. Do something about it as soon as you notice it, even if it's just taking an extra day or two of rest.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    My son (17) is a cross country runner. He's had a knee surgery already. After this season he went to the chiropractor and his pelvis is out of place. There was no stopping the kid though - he loves running. I do think it is pretty hard on the knees and joints though and you should give your body a rest.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    wish I could run. best I can do is half *kitten* skip, due to ankle fusion.
  • Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    running is a great cardio workout, and yes, it can be bad for you. especially if you are not careful. as well as running make sure you stretch! also, swimming is a great cardio work out and you can "WATER RUN" which if done correctly...can kick your butt! try usuing an elliptical as well, it is better for joints
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    I have rheumatoid arthritis, and my Rheumatologist says running is fine IF I get good shoes, start slowly and build up, not run on concrete, and pay attention to my body.

I've been doing just that and my knees and ankles feel better than they have in a very long time (mostly due to the weight loss, but I'm sure some is due to the running/stronger muscles/tendons/ligaments.)
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    If you run moderatly (I think it was less than 50 miles a weeks....and that is alot of running) it is actually good for you joints since those part of the body need movements in order to work and regenarate properly. We are not made to sit on our *kitten* all day. So I say run. Do it slowly even if you feel like a moron. If you think you're going too slow...go slower!!!! Do interval training (couch to 5K is the best in my opinion. I started with C25K many time (always need to after giving birth) and never had an injury.
  • clickmaster
    clickmaster Posts: 54 Member
    I've heard that running can hurt you in the end and is really bad for your joints, what truth is there to this?

There are few things which cannot hurt you if you abuse, overuse, or do them to excess. So, the answer to your question is "very true". However, it's worth understanding that our ability to outrun wild animals - owing to our natural cooling system - is one of the reasons we survived as a species. We humans used to run very, very long distances.

The problems with modern running include everything from hard concrete to automobiles (atuo vs ped accidents, etc). However, of all the ambitious runners and the threats to them there are few who are going to do permanent harm to their body from running as long as they use good sense.

Notwithstanding the above, treadmills are best. A good treadmil will have shock absorbers in the running bed and you can change the inclination to run "uphill" for greater intensity. Of course, you can also change the speed and many offer programmable routines for those who, like me, prefer to do intervals and vary the intensity over the full run to prevent adaptation. It would be difficult for a normal healthy person to harm their joints by running reasonable amounts on a quality treadmill. And, you can run any time...rain or shine.

Everyone who trains in athletics be it aerobic or anaerobic should learn to "listen" to their body and understand when enough is enough. It is as important to not exercise too much as it is to not exercise to little. Hence, my advice would be to learn what you can about running, your heart rate, your deficits (if any), and, of course, make sure you're current on your annual physical exams. Then get a treadmill and run on it when you feel like it and run elsewhere when you feel like it. Change it up to keep your runs fresh and interesting and to prevent adaptation.

Good luck and good health!!

• This is the second time that I am losing weight. The first time, I lost weight just by running and making minor nutrition adjustments. I lost 38 pounds in one summer. I started by walking a half mile, running one mile, walking a half mile. As I got better at running, I'd gradually increase my mileage by half a mile every few weeks or so. I got to the point where I was running 4 miles a day...and I felt great! No knee problems. I do get hip bursitis from overworking myself once in college but that's not related. So because of that, I have to be really careful about doing too much too fast because not being able to walk is not fun.

I enjoy running. If you enjoy running, then run. If not, do something else :)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Do your research, running has MORE benefits than negatives. Runners have a lower cholesterol, better flexibility, tend to be more active than non running peers at all ages, it is a great stress reliever and so much more.

Like said, where and HOW you run can make all the difference in how it affects your body, women are naturally more prone to knee problems than men simply by the way we are made. Running on cement or streets is not ideal for many people, treadmills are good if you can stand to be in one place for an entire run and dirt is actually better than a rubberized high school track.

Basically, you take a risk with all exercise so if you want to run do it, if you get injuries or have problems it is likely you would have had the same issues from the many miles of bike riding or elliptical it would take to equal the calorie burn of running. Walking will be a little easier on the body but will only take you so far.

I have never felt better or stronger since I started running, I had a few knee issues in the beginning that were easily solved with knee straps and eventually getting properly fitted for the right running shoes and now I feel like crap if I dont get my run on so I say go for it!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Oh, and part of my knee issues were resolved by the weight lost from consistent running!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    I've lost 14 pounds since Sept. 1st. How? RUNNING! I was a person that hated to run, partly because of pain from a broken leg. My wife began to run in 2008 and that inspired me to run also, although i did so infrequently. I started biking in 2009. Cross training to be a better cyclist includes-RUNNING! My personal Dr. runs marathons, climbs mountains, ect. He doesn't see a problem with it. If you are going to start running, get a physical first. Then go to a running store and get fitted for proper running shoes. It makes a huge difference. Talk to other runners about training. Buy Runners World magazine. It has tons of usfull info ever month. I have a friend who is an Elite runner. She just won her age group last weekend at the Las Vegas Rock 'n' Roll marathon(half marathon). She swims, lifts weights, & bikes in addition to running. She has never had a serious injury because she has a plan and does her research. I think running can only improve your overall health. Oh yeah, my wife has lost 30 pounds. How? RUNNING!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Running is a high-impact sport, and, like any high-impact activity, there is an increased risk of injury. Most running injuries are caused by improper training techniques, genetic biomechanical anomalies, etc, rather than inherent in running itself. In other words, the higher stress of running exposes weaknesses that are already present or results in overuse injuries from improper training.

There is little or no evidence that I am aware of that shows that running directly causes long-term degenerative damage to joints. I had a knee surgery when I was 41 to repair a torn meniscus and, after 20 years (at that time) of running, the athroscopy showed that my joints looked like fine procelain--not a spot on them.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    There are a million different variables as to whether someone will develop joint issues from running.
    For the most part, as long as your form is such that you aren’t jamming your foot down with every step, have decent shoes, (there is a topic for debate, with the whole barefoot trend) and don’t over train you will be fine. Some people can run all their lives and never have issues. Others can’t. The fear of “maybe” have joint issues shouldn’t keep you from running & being healthy.
This discussion has been closed.