Logging exercise- fitbit vs. mfp

Options
Hi! I am trying to figure out how to log exercises on myfitnesspal and on fitbitt flex. For example, I wear my fitbit except when I workout and I wear my heart rate monitor. How do I log this on myfitnesspal? Which account do I log it under? Also, what happens if I wear my fitbit and my hr,, can I override the fitbit to record my hrm online, etc???

Thank you!!

Replies

• CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    If your FitBit is synced to mfp, whatever you log will override the FitBit reading. Mfp will ask you what time you performed the activity so that it knows where to place it on your FitBit timeline.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Fitbit syncs with MFP, so you don't want to add workouts on MFP, otherwise you'll be counting calories burned twice. So you want to make certain your Fitbit is synced with MFP.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Fitbit syncs with MFP, so you don't want to add it in on MFP or you will get twice the calories burned. So you want to make certain your Fitbit is synced with MFP.

If you enter the correct times for your exercise it'll override Fitbit's burn.

OP, it's fine to wear your Fitbit and HRM together. If it's non-step based, I log my HRM calories burned but still get credit for whatever steps I took during my workout.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    When you log the exercise, it will ask for the start time and duration. Fitbit then takes that information to override whatever it traced for that time frame. An easy way to see the correct start time and duration with the flex is to put it into sleep mode before you start your workout. Since your being active, Fitbit will have it as an activity record on their site instead of a sleep log. The activity record will show you the start time, duration and how many calories Fitbit thinks you burned. Log your workout with that start time, duration and the calories from your HRM. Then just delete the activity record.
  • choosing_fitness
    Options
    Great!! Thank you for the advice, so what I did is this:
    I originally had my fitbit on and my HRM. I just got home and was able to log everything correctly. I logged on to fitbit and saw that I burned 185 calories during that time which was incorrect based of my HRM. So then, I logged on to MFP, entered the exact time and duration of the exercise and entered 275 calories. I then looked back on fitbit and it registered my calories burned that I had typed into MFP, so I am assuming that all is well and correct on my end. Is this right?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Great!! Thank you for the advice, so what I did is this:
    I originally had my fitbit on and my HRM. I just got home and was able to log everything correctly. I logged on to fitbit and saw that I burned 185 calories during that time which was incorrect based of my HRM. So then, I logged on to MFP, entered the exact time and duration of the exercise and entered 275 calories. I then looked back on fitbit and it registered my calories burned that I had typed into MFP, so I am assuming that all is well and correct on my end. Is this right?

yep :drinker:
  • PMDiva
    PMDiva Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So, I like to see my VAM on Fitbit. How can I keep from overriding my VAM if I record my activities in MFP as well?