Trying to improve my top speed

Options
Hello! I just downloaded MFP on my Android phone yesterday, and am already finding it to be quite useful. I guess I should give the short "why I'm here" intro that seems standard for this forum.

My first eye-opener regarding my weight was when I bought my first motor scooter a couple years ago. It only had a 50cc engine (which is tiny), and the joke on the forum for it was that the best way to increase the top speed on it was to drop 10 pounds. Well, apparently it wasn't completely a joke, since one forum member lost 20 pounds and was bragging about how much faster he was able to go. Meanwhile, I was realizing exactly how sluggish my scooter was when it had to push around my fat a__...

I've tried losing weight since then, but it's never stuck. The final impetus was finding out that my company is moving to an office with a gym, and that the dues to join are less than $20 a month. At that cheap of a price, why NOT try it? To prepare for that, I searched for "calorie" in the Android App Store and grabbed the highest rated program: MFP. After using it for 24 hours now, I'm very pleased, and hope that it will help me finally get rid of some of this excess baggage.

Once we move into the new building and I have access to the gym, my plan is as follows:

1. Come in to work an hour early three times a week and work out for at least 30 minutes each time.
2. Count calories religiously.
3. Cut down on my Diet Coke habit (I was averaging 1 liter a day)
4. Take a daily multi-vitamin, Omega-3 booster, and fiber booster
5. Quit "rewarding" myself with food (IE: "I had a rough day, I deserve a candybar")

Until we move, I'm still going to try to follow 2-5.

To summarize: I'm in my mid-30s, am 5'11", and weigh 230 lbs. My goal is to make it to 180, and to be in better shape when I get there. Wish me luck!

Replies

• cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    Good luck!! Welcome, and it sounds like a great plan!! Good luck, and you will find all the support you need here, it is great!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Best of luck! Sounds fun too! :-D
  • Othos
    Othos Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome and encouragement everyone! I'm excited about the possibilities, and looking at the before and after pictures here really inspires me to stick with it this time.