Office workers unite! Sitting on a ball?

Options
2»

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I started with a ball ($19.99 at Walmart), and just sitting on it a couple of hours a day until I built up to all day. It only took me a couple of weeks, and I could really tell the difference in my core and posture.

Then hubby got me a ball chair for Christmas. The big difference is the "swivel stabliity"-- e.g., sitting and then reaching for something on the shelf 180 degrees behind my computer terminal. On the ball, that can be a tricky and ultimately comical move; but on the chair, it rolls and swivels like a regular office chair.

I love it/ them!
  • d2rala
    d2rala Posts: 54
    Options
    I've got a great boss who lets me use the ball. It took a little bit to get used to it. (6-8 hours is a lot of sitting!)
    I haven't had any real drop in weight using it, but I also don't really do a lot of exercising with it either. It does allow me to "fidget" more than when I use a regular office chair.
    I want to believe that my core has gotten more stable, but that's kind of hard to prove.
    Let me know how you do.
    Diane
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    I have used one on and off for the past year. It is great because it really strengthens your core muscles. It is a little harder than it looks, though. I wouldn't expect to shed pounds from just sitting on a ball, but if you have weak stomach or back muscles, it will for sure help make them stronger. I had to start at just an hour and work my way up because my back would get tired. I bought my ball at Big 5 for under $15.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I picked one up when I was at university to use as a chair - it really helped me pay attention to my posture and general body alignment (when it was inflated properly).

The commenter(s) who mentioned not putting weight on their feet - are you actually balancing without your feet on the ground? I was/am not that balanced - but good on you!

I miss the ball chair - it is important to have the right size for your work surface. ^_^
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    dino1147, did you get measured for the ball or did you measure your desk? If not, how did you pick out what height to buy for your desk? Thanks!
    For the regular walmart exercise, what I did was sit in an office chair that was the right height, and then measured that distance to the floor and then add 4-5 inches to make up for the compression of the ball.