Question on Protein

Options
Hi all, I'm fairly new to the watching calories and hope to shed about 10 pounds. So far, I've noticed that I do a pretty good job at staying under my daily recommended calorie, fat, and sodium numbers. However, I seem to go way over on protein, all the time! (I have a weakness for cheese, I suppose!) Can anyone tell me how this affects my weight/health? I understand how sodium, fat, and etc. work, but not protein. Thanks for any suggestions!

Replies

• reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I do that all the time too, from what people have told me..."It's ok and that protein levels are really low on MFP."
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Go to the top of the forum page and click search. Then type in "over protein". Lots of information and lots of people asking the same thing. Probably some good answers in that search group.

Katie
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I looked up Protein in Bing:
    "Protein is necessary in the diet because of its role in muscle and tissue structure and function. Some examples of protein rich foods are meats, fish, dairy products, dried beans and peas, and tofu." In other words, protien provides the material your body uses for the muscles you will build via exercising.
    Some (a friend of mine) people do a fairly high-protien diet (especially if they are trying to build lots of muscles).
    I did not follow that plan. I eat about 20-30% fat, 15-25% protien, and 45-60% carbohydrates. If I eat more protien one day, I lower the amount of carbs (via the settings/goals page), so I can try to stay within my calorie limits.
    Hope i helped a little bit. :drinker: (drink lots of water)
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    If you go over your protien it is ok as long as it is meats and lean protiens. Cheese could be your downfall. Stick to soft ones like cottage mozz ect