Goal change

Options
Hi

How often should you change your mfp goals?

I changed it after a stone but should it be more often?

Thanks

Replies

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    There really is no set rule. It just depends on where u wanna be and what results your getting. If you are still losing weight at a pace you are comfortable with why change stuff up?
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am still losing annoyingly it seems to be alot all at once then nothing for weeks.

I just thought the more I lost the less I cals I need or the less I would lose on the same cals.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    We can't really answer the question without seeing more info. … Your probably thinking "what info do you want to know?" If so maybe you see my point now.
  • litchfieldd
    litchfieldd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes, you probably should periodically reset your goals without necessarily changing your rate of weight loss, as MFP will then take into account your reduced weight and lower the daily calories.

But it doesn't really matter if you are losing weight at the speed that suits you - even if doesn't happen every week. All these numbers are estimates anyway and I've only ever used the automatic MFP goals as a rough guideline before manually adjusting the numbers to fit what happens with the scales.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am still losing annoyingly it seems to be alot all at once then nothing for weeks.

I just thought the more I lost the less I cals I need or the less I would lose on the same cals.

some people lose like that... nothing you can do about it, it is what it is... with 50lb to lose, an average of 1lb per week is a good rate of loss... if you're doing that now then you dont need to change anything.
  • aneary1980
    Options

some people lose like that... nothing you can do about it, it is what it is... with 50lb to lose, an average of 1lb per week is a good rate of loss... if you're doing that now then you dont need to change anything.

I might change it I think I'm on 1.5lb a week atm but I feel like I have to exercise every day to top up my cal allowance.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    it obviously depends on many factors.
    i am exactly 7 weeks in of 12 planned for gym and diet.my weight loss target was 2lb weekly and have exceeded that.
    with over 50 lb target to lose i am happy at my progress but realise now i have achieved my short term goal i should be moree sensible in future wight loss speed after having more knowledge from reading this forum.
    remember. goals should be be specific and achievable. not just randomly picked from the ethernet.
    g luck.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I am following these recommendations:

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing these negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:

More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • aneary1980
    Options

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing these negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Bugger that has dropped my cal allowance down by 130cals a day to 1200. :(

I guess I need to cut a snack and exercise more.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Bugger that has dropped my cal allowance down by 130cals a day to 1200. :(

I guess I need to cut a snack and exercise more.

you said in response to my post that you wanted to drop your goal so you could eat more, but now you have increased it so you eat even less....!?
  • aneary1980
    Options
    Because of the table posted above.

I have more than 40lbs to lose. :frown:
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Because of the table posted above.

I have more than 40lbs to lose. :frown:

so? theres no law saying you HAVE to lose at that rate...

but yeah 1200 cals sounds like fun! enjoy! :laugh:
  • aneary1980
    Options
    So one person says change it down and one says change it up :huh:
  • Branstin
    Options
    Deleted post
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you're asking - do you mean you've changed your mind about your goal weight, or you're wondering about adjusting your weight loss rate? MFP automatically adjusts your calories anyway every 10lbs or so, I know it docked me 60 cals a day after I recorded a 10lb weight loss.

If you want more cals per day you need to tell MFP to lose at a slower rate.
  • Branstin
    Options
    So one person says change it down and one says change it up :huh:

Just because you have more than 40 lbs. to lose doesn't mean you have to stick to losing 1.5 lbs. a week. If you want more calories to eat, reduce your weight loss goal to 0.5 -1.0 lb. a week. The numbers are estimates so you could still lose more weight even though you set it to a lesser amount.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    Okay, moved it back which gives me a resonable amount. I really don't want to be sitting on 1200 cals I thinks I would cry on rest days.
  • Branstin
    Options
    I snort 1200 calories for dinner on Sundays. :laugh:
  • aneary1980
    Options
    I'm thinking of a huge roast dinner after my 10k in september my reward day. :)
  • Branstin
    Options
    Sounds delicious!