Work lunch ideas

geeky1
geeky1 Posts: 142
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello,
What sort of things does everyone eat for lunch? I work in a large office and there are always people in the kitchen, so am looking for quick, easy, low calorie and above all TASTY food ideas/
Am used to the usual sandwich type items and would like a little variety.
Oh and I am in Australia, so summery type ideas would be well appreciated :wink:

Replies

• slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    I make myself a week's worth of salads - fresh cut - and store them in the back of the fridge. Then I add a can of tuna or a can of chicken and some fruit and have a nice lunch and snacks (I cut a chunk of cucumber and some fresh carrots for snacks, along with the fruit). I eat about every 2 hours or so, so the "homefires" keep burning. Since I make the salad myself (on the weekend), I put in only what I like and it doesn't spoil in the fridge. I do not store it in a fridge at work, either - no place to put it. It keeps till lunchtime, but my workplace is air-conditioned.

:-)
  • I like switching up meals for lunch. Sometimes I enjoy a more breakfast type lunch-- for example, greek yogurt, a banana & a kashi pumpkin flax bar add up to about 300 calories, a high fiber & high protein lunch.
  • I've been eat Health Request Soups lately. Mostly because they are covienant, but they are low calorie and the liquid in the soup helps me fill up.
  • cracky
    cracky Posts: 15
    I was just posting a similar question else where - for shift work foods. I am after recipies that will make me stop wanting fast food at 4am. Salads don't cut it.

I also am in Australia.

For lunches I like stir frys... they only take a few minutes to cook at home then in the microwave at work. I don't use packaged sauces - just chopped veggies in a hot pan with some olive oil / cup of water to soften the veg / soy sauce and some pepper..

I got bored of salads and they get soggy so I bought some of those containers with separate little tubs.. I pop some lettuce and thinly sliced spanish onion in the bigger tub then put interesting things in the little tubs to mix up when I got to work... such as nice cheeses or smoked salmon or avocado or a boiled egg or sundried tomato... I sautay up some mushrooms and capsicum with a bit of wostishire sauce and they are great cold on a salad... (sorry about the spelling of everything!)

Turkey burgers are also a favorite of mine. I take turkey mince (it is apparently lower in fat and has some healthy proteins) and mix it up with some grated veggies and some bread crumbs, squish into a patty, and cook them up before microwaving them at work the next day. For a bit of flavour I spoon some crushed tomatoes (or tomato supreme) in the tub they're in and eat them with that... they are yum. (I put carrots / mushrooms / onions / zucchini in the mix with them - if you grate zucchini in it works better if you squeeze the extra moisture out of the zuchini first or the patty will fall apart.)

I don't know about you, or if anyone else suffers the same problem, but if I have made something boring for lunch I don't look forward to it and will eiher hit the vending machine or take aways. I lost 12 kilo slowly, by spending that extra few minutes the night before preparing an interesting and exciting lunch.. then I looked forward to it till lunch time and its delicious and not like a diet at all!! Now I need to transfer this to my new shift work job....
  • geeky1
    geeky1 Posts: 142
    Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a great reply.

Tomorrow is shopping day so I am going to use what you have suggested and give them a go!
  • Mama06
    Mama06 Posts: 110 Member
    lunchmeat roll-ups. use your favourite sandwich meat spread some spicy mustard or hummus (or nothing at all) add a slice of low fat cheese (i use provolone or swiss) and roll it into a tube. (you can also roll up your favourite veggies into it like lengthwise sliced peppers, cucumber, tomato, etc. or just enjoy them on the side.) yummy!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    lunchmeat roll-ups. use your favourite sandwich meat spread some spicy mustard or hummus (or nothing at all) add a slice of low fat cheese (i use provolone or swiss) and roll it into a tube. (you can also roll up your favourite veggies into it like lengthwise sliced peppers, cucumber, tomato, etc. or just enjoy them on the side.) yummy!

i love doing this
This discussion has been closed.