coffee crisis

Options
I gave up my 4-6 cans of mountain dew a day and drink water. What I cannot give up is my coffee, with a little sugar and creamer. Is it OK to have 1 cup of coffee with sugar and cream, or should I try to cut out the sugar and cream? which will be hard, because I think black coffee is disgusting.
I have been drinking a cup of coffee, but I feel so guilty when I do it.

Replies

• knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    If there is no medical reason for you to cut out sugar or cream, and if it fits into your daily calorie goal, I say drink and enjoy your coffee guilt-free. The stress from the guilt is worse for you than the drink.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Is it OK to have 1 cup of coffee with sugar and cream

Yes, you could even have...two.

I would also suggest trying out different quality beans / roasts if you don't like black coffee. It may make all the difference but this is by no means necessary from a weight loss perspective (as opposed to a taste perspective.)
  • erinrae2734
    erinrae2734 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    An alternative to cream/sugar is a small amount of coconut oil. Always should have some "good fat" right away in the morning. Little bit goes a long way. I can no longer drink coffee with creamer/sugar as I LOVE coffee with coconut oil. It will be different at first, but after the third day it is amazing!
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have mine with milk and sugar and I won't give that up for anyone
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Well done for quitting that mountain dew. Presumably it was full of something undesirable but i'm not sure what.

Coffee is fine. Milk is great. a little bit of Cream and sugar won't kill you. But coffee with full cream milk is good and delicious even without sugar.

What is creamer though? Is it real food or is it artificial food. If the latter, find something more nutritious.

These days they recommend not eating more than 6tsp of sugar a day and that includes in everything salad dressing, ketchup everything. As a recovering sugar addict who let sugar get my whole pattern of eating out of whack and made me fat, i'd quit putting sugar in your coffee but when you are ready and if you find your consumption getting out of control. It doesn't take long to adjust to going without. IN fact life without sugar in it is much better. I love my fruit and even can risk some dried fruit.

I can only drink black coffee if its go sugar in it but black coffee on its own is rough.
  • cattitude123
    cattitude123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Try even a flavored coffee with some skim milk and splenda(if you like it), enjoy, you are doing yourself a favor by not stressing!
  • tremroy1
    tremroy1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I put 2% or skimmed milk in my coffee........instead of cream.......no sugar......kills the taste of the coffee.
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I started drinking mine black so i wouldn't have anything else to compare it to. However, 10 years later, looking back---I will say that drinking coffee like Folgers is NASTY black. I drink Starbucks or Tully's, Hubbard and Cravens or sometimes Newman's own. You have to have a rich, full coffee to drink it black--IMO. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I drink my morning coffee black, always have (Peet's is my favorite!), but have an afternoon cup of hot or iced coffee nearly every day, always with half & half and sugar. It fits in my goals, no reason to give it up.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cups every morning, with a tsp of sugar and a tbsp of creamer each.

When I began on MFP, I cut out the creamer and switched to milk, until pumpkin spiced creamer rolled around. I enjoy my flavored creamers too much to give them up, so I worked them into my day, instead.

My point? Have your coffee how you like it. You don't need to go to black coffee if that's not what you enjoy (I know I certainly don't)! Allot some room in your diary and enjoy.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Only coffee crisis is when you don't have any.

Fit it into your day and enjoy it!
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Why not? I discovered the joys of French press last year :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    cri·sis
    noun
    a time of intense difficulty, trouble, or danger.
    "the current economic crisis"
    synonyms: emergency, disaster, catastrophe, calamity
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I came running in here cause I thought OP had no more coffees :/
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    If I owned a keurig I would drink black coffee, hello vanilla or pumpkin spice mmmm, that being said I don't so bring on the sugar though you'll find yourself likely using less. I can't drink sweet tea now its got to be 1/2 sweet 1/2 unsweet I never thought I'd see the day.:embarassed:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

I came running in here cause I thought OP had no more coffees :/

That's why I came in I was gonna send some STAT cause that's just evil
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i slowly started adding less milk to my coffee until it was practically black then just cut it out all together, now i can't stand coffee with milk in it

as for sugar, i've always been a 2 sugars guy, at the start of this year i decided i was wasting calories having it in my coffee and that i'd try to go without it, it took a couple of days to get used to it but now i really like it and don't even think about adding sugar

however having said all that, if you're only have one cup then don't worry about it, 1 coffee with a bit of sugar and some cream isn't going to do any harm
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I started a LCHF WOE and one of the most difficult transitions for me was my coffee...I used to POUR liberal amounts of sweetened creamer (Coffeemate or Bailey's) into 3-4 cups of coffee daily. Now I use only HWC (heavy whipping cream) with no sugar. If you want to slowly wean yourself off of sugar, try using a non-calorie sweetener instead, or just slowly reduce the amount of sugar until you get used to the taste of (delicious) coffee!
    Also: my FIL makes coffee so strong it can literally strip my insides out...I do not like extremely strong coffee and I brew it the way that I like it. Experiment with your coffee maker until it tastes best to you.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    An alternative to cream/sugar is a small amount of coconut oil. Always should have some "good fat" right away in the morning. Little bit goes a long way. I can no longer drink coffee with creamer/sugar as I LOVE coffee with coconut oil. It will be different at first, but after the third day it is amazing!

Actually this is really amazing. A little unsweetened coco powder is nice with it, too. I got used to drinking coffee black, but it's definitely an acquired taste.
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options

This ^^ hehe