Plateau-busting tips?

Options
The question is pretty much there in the title. Nothing has changed in my food and exercise regimen, so I can only assume that I'm in the midst of a plateau. This week I not only did not lose my standard 2 - 2.5 lbs, I gained about 1.5. So let's hear them. What have you all done to overcome plateaus? What worked and what didn't?

25519766.png

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I always wait 3-4 weeks before I assume "official" plateau.

Then I just do more cardio and or eat less.

weight loss resumes.
  • wendalynh
    Options
    I do a couple apple days when I plateau where I only eat 5 or 6 apples and then I start losing again. Works for me.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Try changing things up a bit, eat a little more one day, eat less the next, try different types of exercise.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I raise my cals up to maintenance for a week or 2 and slow the cardio down a bit. After about 2 weeks I slam the cals back down again to my normal range (nothing drastic) and kick up the exercise again. Works like a charm!!!
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Wait it out. As long as you're still hitting your calorie goals, it will work out after a couple of weeks.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Personally I just don't believe in plateaus.

A person can eat above, below or at maintenance.

Maintenance can change everyday based on physical activity as well as hormonal changes.

If a person is eating below their daily maintenance requirements they will lose body weight.

Due to water retention, body weight loss is not immediately reflected on the scale. Depending on activity level and diet considerations it can take days to weeks for a new lower average weight to stabilize.

Personally I know I am in a deficit every day so even though I weight myself it doesn't matter if I stay the same weight or even gain weight for weeks since I know my deficit is greater than my potential margin of error. Overtime I just keep loosing weight and any "stalls" are just compensated for by larger "drops".

So to beat a "plateau" eat at a deficit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Personally I just don't believe in plateaus.

A person can eat above, below or at maintenance.

Maintenance can change everyday based on physical activity as well as hormonal changes.

So to beat a "plateau" eat at a deficit.

yes- but with a caveat.
    Those deficit/maintenance numbers are a moving target- and depending on how much/how long you lose it can move... so as you lose weight- you're deficit #'s will become you're maintance numbers. It happens with bulking as well- as you go up- you need to eat more.

Same with down- as you go down- you need to eat less and less. Which sucks. A lot. But it's the reason why I suggest staying there for 3-4 weeks and then re-assessing- most time's is just a water weight/bad day/salt day issue- but sometimes you wind up actually evening out. So yes- it does become an actual plateau... and then you need to re-*kitten* the numbers- and go to a different deficit number and weight loss resumes.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    What have you all done to overcome plateaus? What worked and what didn't?
    First, it's mental: realize that as long as you're eating less than your body needs calorie-wise you _will_ lose weight. You don't need to do anything drastic (massive amounts of exercise, very restrictive diet or calories).
    Keep plugging along and eventually the scale will behave.
    Drink more water.
    Tweak your calories down by about 50 per day.
    Do 5 min more cardio.
    Sleep a little more.
    Take measurements. Maybe you're losing inches, but because you're currently gaining some muscle the scale is staying the same.

ETA: And are you paying attention to total calories? Ignore net, ignore exercise calories, just eat at your real goal number. This is because people (and machines) usually overestimate how much they burn. Think of it as a bonus toward losing weight, but since most weight loss comes from controlling calories in, control your intake.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Wait it out. As long as you're still hitting your calorie goals, it will work out after a couple of weeks.

This. Weight loss isn't linear. A real plateau is not losing for more than 4-5 weeks and means you're eating too much.