Lifting heavy and Bodypump

Options
Okay, so I've been taking Bodypump classes for a few months now and I absolutely love them! However, I know that most people view this as more of a cardio class and not heavy lifting. So my question is, if I want to continue my 3x per week Bodypump class, when should I lift heavy? Should I do it the same day as BodyPump so that I get a full day of rest in between or should I lift heavy on the days that I am not doing pump? As I said, I really love the Pump class, so I don't want to give it up.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just cut back- do 2 days of body pump and 2 days of lifting.

Or 2 BP and 3 lifting.

Nothing is permanent- if you hate your schedule change- you can always go back.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    My wife does BodyPump 2x a week and lifts heavy once or twice a week. She's been trying to figure out what schedule would be best too. Best she can tell, BodyPump the day after lifting is fine, much easier to "cheat" the BodyPump routine. She general doesn't try to lift the day after BodyPump but has done a lifting session in the morning followed by a BP class.
    As JR mentioned, I would try to cut down to 2 BP classes. If you really want to do 3 classes a week and you can lift before class I think that would allow for better lifting performance.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I've been doing BP 3x a week for about 8 years and I upped my weights when I wasn't feeling like I was getting enough of a workout. On day's that I was tired, sore etc. I would lower the weight. On alternate day's I would do cardio. Regardless of what people think BP is a weight class so I did not lift on the off day's. Of course that is up to you but I was always told not to lift every day because you need a day's rest for your muscle to recover. That said there have been weeks where I would do BP 2x and lift on the 3rd day - mix and match is fine.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I do bodypump 2x a week and I heavy lft 3x a week :)