my doctor frustrated me this morning.

Options
I am only 6 days in so far, but so far in those 6 days I have completely gotten myself off soda, watched and counted my calorie intake, and went from 5 minutes on the elliptical to 30 minutes at a slow pace.
So this morning, I went to the doctor just for the all clear. He asked me what my goal was, and I told him 36lbs, which would put me at 135 down from 171. He said uh hum. well for your height of 5'2, 135 is still on the overweight side. I would recommend going for at least a 45lb loss and get down to 125 range.
So, should I just stick with my original 135, to me that seemed more doable and less overwhelming and it just kind of frustrated to hear my doctor basically say not good enough shoot for this.
He told me that I should stay at 1400 calories and that 1200 was too low and I probably wouldn't lose at 1200, which is what I have been reading on here.
So now I don't know if I should readjust my goal or just leave it alone.

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'd leave your goal the way it is for now and re-visit it after you reach your goal. Your doctor is right about 1,200 being too low, there's no reason you should be eating that low, 1,400 with no activity sounds reasonable, if you are active you should be eating more.

We are all built different, after you reach your goal weight I'd look in the mirror and ask yourself then if you want to get down to 125. Highly recommend you start heavy lifting, your perfect ideal body isn't just waiting under the fat, you'll need to put on some muscle.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'd leave your goal the way it is for now and re-visit it after you reach your goal. Your doctor is right about 1,200 being too low, there's no reason you should be eating that low, 1,400 with no activity sounds reasonable, if you are active you should be eating more.

We are all built different, after you reach your goal weight I'd look in the mirror and ask yourself then if you want to get down to 125. Highly recommend you start heavy lifting, your perfect ideal body isn't just waiting under the fat, you'll need to put on some muscle.

my husband has a weight set, they range in size from 20lbs on up to 75 I think. I don't think I can just go right into doing 20, so I planned to pick up some 5, and maybe 15lb dumb bells or something. I have been doing pilates every other day to work on my core. I don't know if that will help or not.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Why is his suggestion any more overwhelming? You're going to do the same routine tomorrow in terms of calorie intake/exercise if your goal is 125 versus 135. The only difference is you'll be dieting a bit longer with a goal of 125, but waiting a few more months until eating at maintenance calories shouldn't really be overwhelming. Just take it one day at a time.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    if you don't want to join a gym there are good at home resistance workouts that you can try. I'd search these boards for recommendations there, I'm a gym dude myself and prefer heavy lifting 5x5 programs like ice cream fitness.

Lifting heavy is relative to the individual, 20 lbs free weights might be cake for me but doesn't mean it's easy for you. Start where you can and work your way up over time.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I agree, keep yourself at the goal you have set for yourself and revisit later. You may find that once the pounds start coming off, the 10 pounds between 135 and 125 will be easier. My weight was plateaued for like ever, but now it is really coming off, and I am seeing the muscles I have been building for months.

Regarding calories, the biggest thing is to listen to your body. If you are eating healthy and feel starving and awful at 1200 calories, up it to 1400. I've been trying to stay around 1200-1300 on my rest days, and I eat back calories when I work out. My body is happy and I'm not starving or feeling bad, but what works for one person may not work for others.

Good luck, and don't let your doctor or anyone else get you down!
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like your doctor was being honest with you and giving it to you straight forward. Why are you frustrated with him/her? They are just doing their job. If you had cancer would you not want him/her to shoot straight with you?
  • higgins8283801
    Options
    Why is his suggestion any more overwhelming? You're going to do the same routine tomorrow in terms of calorie intake/exercise if your goal is 125 versus 135. The only difference is you'll be dieting a bit longer with a goal of 125, but waiting a few more months until eating at maintenance calories shouldn't really be overwhelming. Just take it one day at a time.

maybe overwhelming wasn't the right word. I had prepared for a week with 135 in mind and decided 35lbs really wasn't that bad to lose. I think it is just the fact it will be a new goal I have to condition for when for a a week I have been psyching myself up for the original goal. It made me feel like it wasn't good enough, and that the progress I made wasn't that great. I don't know, I just left there wishing I never went in there in the first place. I am really proud I beat the soda addiction and now am strictly water. I am really glad that I have been cooking meals at home and getting use to measuring and reading labels. I think it is great progress so far, and so much better than I have ever done.
  • higgins8283801
    Options
    It sounds to me like your doctor was being honest with you and giving it to you straight forward. Why are you frustrated with him/her? They are just doing their job. If you had cancer would you not want him/her to shoot straight with you?

I wasn't necessarily frustrated with HIM, but with the appt. I went in there thinking I had made great progress and it turned out it wasn't good enough.

I think I will stick with my original goal and once I hit it, reevaluate.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Your goal of 135 is at the top of the healthy weight range. 125 is in the middle. So neither of you is wrong. He probably thought getting a little lower is good since often people gain back a few lbs. However, I believe once you are in a healthy weight range the # on the scale is much less important than your body composition and how you feel. I am 5'3" and was much happier in the 130s vs. low 120s because I was more toned at the higher weight. As another said get in the healthy range then re-evaluate. I know it can be disappointing if a doctor doesn't agree with you but he probably meant well.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I see both sides of this, but for me personally, I have set SEVERAL loss goals along my journey. Those bite-sized goals have helped me stay on track. I knew I needed to lose about 75 lbs, but that number was a little overwhelming. I started in 10% increments... I began at 220, so my first goal was 20 lbs (10% of my weight). I set myself up for little rewards for reaching each goal, too. I got a pedicure after the 1st 10%. I did some new clothes at one point, and I went to canvas paint party for another. It has taken me 2 years to lose all the weight (I have about 15 lbs left), but my Doc has been thrilled and supportive and appreciates my efforts. Lots of people spend their older years watching the scale go up, and the fact that it is going the other direction is still a good thing.

It is ok that your doctor wanted you to know where you really should be, that is his job. It is also ok if you decide to get there in parts and pieces. Your doc's job is to inform you, but also support you in maintaining your health - thus the calorie suggestion. In the end, 135 is a healthier place than 171 and you can discuss 125 when you get to 135. In order for you to sustain this goal, you have to make it work for YOU, too.

Good luck!!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

maybe overwhelming wasn't the right word. I had prepared for a week with 135 in mind and decided 35lbs really wasn't that bad to lose. I think it is just the fact it will be a new goal I have to condition for when for a a week I have been psyching myself up for the original goal. It made me feel like it wasn't good enough, and that the progress I made wasn't that great. I don't know, I just left there wishing I never went in there in the first place. I am really proud I beat the soda addiction and now am strictly water. I am really glad that I have been cooking meals at home and getting use to measuring and reading labels. I think it is great progress so far, and so much better than I have ever done.

The problem is you're confusing your progress with your end goal. Regardless of whether your goal is 125 or 135, the progress you've made so far is equally impressive. Honestly, given that you're only 6 days in and have months of work ahead of you, you're overthinking this. Try to relax, stay focused and take it one day at a time.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Who knows you better than you? If you think 35 lb goal is easier to handle right now, do that. If you think 10 lbs as a goal is easier, do that.

You have already made achievements. Be grateful for those, and keep on doing you. One thing at a time works better than cold turkey like others do.

So what your doctor says 125 would be better. Doctors don't know everything. Frankly, if that doctor has never seen you at 125 lbs how on earth does he/she know that 125 would actually be better for YOU?

I like what the other poster said about setting many mini-goals and rewarding yourself. You beat soda....get a pedicure. You maintained your calorie goal for 30 days, buy something special for you. You lose 10 lbs, reward yourself. Whatever your goals are, write them down, then achieve them one at a time.

And another thing...this is difficult to do,and easy to say, but try to practice the wisdom that nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.

Your goal is a good one, and I wish you much success!
  • Mohana94
    Mohana94 Posts: 54
    Options
    I think you should set small goals. My doctor is monitoring me every 10 weeks or so and she sets small targets for me to achieve. until I reach my goal weight. My first goal is 4kg/8lbs. So from 91 to 87 and then 84 and then 79 so on and so forth. I think setting several goals along the way will help to keep you motivated. you should aim for the goal that your doctor set as doctors are usually right aren't they? Make that your long term goal. Any progress is good progress. remember that! All the best for the weight loss.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I see both sides of this, but for me personally, I have set SEVERAL loss goals along my journey. Those bite-sized goals have helped me stay on track. I knew I needed to lose about 75 lbs, but that number was a little overwhelming. I started in 10% increments... I began at 220, so my first goal was 20 lbs (10% of my weight). I set myself up for little rewards for reaching each goal, too. I got a pedicure after the 1st 10%. I did some new clothes at one point, and I went to canvas paint party for another. It has taken me 2 years to lose all the weight (I have about 15 lbs left), but my Doc has been thrilled and supportive and appreciates my efforts. Lots of people spend their older years watching the scale go up, and the fact that it is going the other direction is still a good thing.

It is ok that your doctor wanted you to know where you really should be, that is his job. It is also ok if you decide to get there in parts and pieces. Your doc's job is to inform you, but also support you in maintaining your health - thus the calorie suggestion. In the end, 135 is a healthier place than 171 and you can discuss 125 when you get to 135. In order for you to sustain this goal, you have to make it work for YOU, too.

Good luck!!

I like the thought behind this statement. This is the way I would proceed.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I am only 6 days in so far ... went from 5 minutes on the elliptical to 30 minutes at a slow pace.
    Wow. Took me more than a week to work up to 30 min on the elliptical.
    for your height of 5'2, 135 is still on the overweight side
    He's right. But 130 is in the healthy range.
    And it doesn't really matter, because your goal for this week is 1 pound.
    Your goal for next week is 1 pound.
    Continue for a year (because there will be weeks when you don't lose anything, and it's frustrating) and you'll be there.
    Here's a BMI chart: [url] http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf [/url]
    He told me that I should stay at 1400 calories and that 1200 was too low and I probably wouldn't lose at 1200
    If you'd lose at 1400, you'll lose at 1200, but you won't be as happy. It'll just be slower at 1400.
    My doctor told me to multiply my healthy goal weight by 10 to get calories (total, ignore net), and that's what I eat to get to that weight. So if you're aiming at 140 lb, eat 1400.
    Start there, see what happens, and when you hit a plateau drop 50 cal.
    When you get to goal, nudge the calories up again until you're holding steady. That should be about 15 cal per lb.

When you get into the green range on that BMI chart, see how you feel. Maybe you want to stay there, maybe you want to lose another 5 lb.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Your goal can be whatever you think is attainable. Once you hit it, you re-evaluate. There's nothing to say that once you hit 135 that you won't feel fabulous and want to stay there, or that you would like to lose a little more. Wait until you get there and see.

I'm 5'1 and the pie in the sky goal I set last December was to lose 75 lbs and get down to 130. Never in a million years did I think I would actually get there. Now that I'm nearing that goal, I'm much more confident in my ability to actually do this, and I can see that once I hit 130, I will keep aiming for something lower. Maybe instead of a weight, I'll go until I'm a size 6 or 8 in jeans. But, who knows? I'll see once I get there :)
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous person about setting small goals, but I also have to throw in there that whatever works best for your body is what you should be doing. There are plenty of doctors out there that read from textbooks and follow simple formulas to find answers. What I am trying to say is-look at people that are thin, but not healthy...by a textbook or BMI formula they would be considered to be in good health. I had a friend who never exercised and lived on Coke and Snickers bars and was still rail thin, so a number on a scale is not always the definition of health. When I set out to lose weight, and worked through a formula in one of my fitness courses in college, I was told that my ideal weight would be 117-120. When I hit 130 I had ribs showing and finally decided on 136. I am very active and exercise 5-6 days a week, but I will never hit that "magic number" some Dr or book says I should and I am good with that.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    I also agree with the small goals thing.
    I made a list, just on a sheet of noteboook paper, showing every 5 lb lost, every 10% down from my starting weight (should have been every 5%), every time I dropped a BMI number, when I went from obese II to obese I to overweight to normal.
    That gives me lots of little goals.
    I write in the date next to whichever one I've accomplished.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    When I set out to lose weight, and worked through a formula in one of my fitness courses in college, I was told that my ideal weight would be 117-120. When I hit 130 I had ribs showing and finally decided on 136. I am very active and exercise 5-6 days a week, but I will never hit that "magic number" some Dr or book says I should and I am good with that.
    The healthy BMI range is not that narrow.
    Here's a chart: http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    Usually the range is around 30 lb.
    For example, someone 5'6" could be 115 - 150.

120 would be in the healthy range for someone 5'7 down to maybe 4'8".
    136 would be OK for someone 5'3" to 5'11".
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It sound to me like you went in expecting your doctor to tell you what a great job you are doing and just generally be your cheerleader. His job is just to tell you what is healthy for you. I am not judging you for this, I did the same thing. I was so excited on my last trip to see my doctor (I have to see him every three to four months) who always tells me that I am fat, but only our of concern for my health. I was so excited thinking that he was going to say something nice and maybe even be proud of me. Nope! I got a parade of questions that stopped just short of asking if I had developed an eating disorder. I left feeling like crap. I had been so excited and it didn't go the way I thought it would. It took me a while to realize that he doesn't really care. He doesn't know me other than meeting for about twenty minutes three or four times a year. He see hundreds of other people in that time. He is not emotionally invested in any of us.

MFP is here for what you are looking for. Confirmation that what you are doing is good and your progress is great. So let me say, good job on quitting soda, that is a great start and not easy for most people to do.

I started out with 130 pounds to lose. I'm at 89 now. It's so nice to be under 100 to go finally! But I rarely ever think of that number. I set small goals. Right now my goal is to be into the 235 b y my birthday. I have four pounds and as many weeks so I should make it. I set this goal about a month ago, lol, I don't set that THAT small. I have no idea when I will reach my final goal. I don't think about it. My point is that you don't have to think about it as I need to lose 35 pounds or 45 pounds. Just think that your goal is to lose say 10 pounds by October 1st, or whatever is reasonable for you. When you get to your original goal of 135 you can evaluate your progress and see if you want to continue to 125 or not and at that point it will just be 10 pounds and won't seem like so much.