Rock Climbing

Options
I just want to say that I LOVE Rock Climbing and really want to recommend it to any one who's looking for a new fun exercise. Any Rock Gym will teach you the basics of how to safely climb and belay. It's great fun, really good workout for a bunch of muscle groups including arms, legs, butt, and abs! You can also burn around 900 calories an hour! Super fun, if you're looking for something new to do, check it out!

Replies

• Photoplex
    Photoplex Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Did some rock climbing out in Railay in Thailand a few years ago - absolutely loved it (even though climbing in 35c temperatures is brutal).

Have been meaning to get into it again - thanks for the reminder!
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    I :heart: climbing too! I haven't been for a couple of months though as my regular climbing buddy is renovating so doesn't have time to climb :cry: Hopefully we'll get started again in the new year.

Definitely a great workout and I find I don't notice how hard I'm working until I come down at the end of the climb, unless I'm on climb #5 and my arms give up half way up the wall :laugh:

One of the best bits IMHO is that when your climbing your not thinking about anything except how to get to the next hold. I love that time out.

For those who can't find a climbing partner, bouldering is great fun too. Many gyms will have a special section (with giant thick crash mats) just for bouldering where you can climb low walls, overhangs, etc (without the need for a belay) to your heart's content. It's also a good place to practice technique.
  • STARG1RL
    STARG1RL Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I must say, it's something that I'd :heart: to try, especially to strenthen my upper body (as I'm in school to become a Massage Therapist) but with studying for my classes taking up most of what little free time I have, I don't know that it'd be worth it for me to take an interest in... Maybe I'll take advantage of a Groupon, once a climbing one comes around again, just to try it out though!

Either way, perhaps climbing is a challenge for some point AFTER August 2011, when I'll be free-ish again :smile: