I'm losing the wrong weight

Options
13»

Replies

• SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I briefly scanned your post are you avoiding wheat gluten if you have hashimotos?
    I don't know much about Hashimotos, but I have also heard gluten free recommended as a tool for those with the disease.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I briefly scanned your post are you avoiding wheat gluten if you have hashimotos?
    I don't know much about Hashimotos, but I have also heard gluten free recommended as a tool for those with the disease.

Both Hashimoto's and Celiac are auto-immune diseases, as is type 1 diabetes (which I also have) and Graves disease. First, one must have the genes to have these, and then something must trigger the auto-immune response (i.e. where the immune system attacks a part of the body mistaking it for a foreign object). The genes that cause these are the same, and the only difference between someone like me who has one of them and not another is the trigger. Many individuals have more than one (as in my case where I have both type 1 and hashimoto's) as a result of something triggering both immune responses. So I am at risk of Celac if something were to trigger the auto-immune response.

My guess is that you are thinking of a situation where someone has Hashimoto's and Celiac (which is quite common). Someone with Celiac should be concerned with gluten, of course.

Here is some information that also outlines the connection between the diseases: http://www.celiaccentral.org/thyroid/
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    All this time wasted posting in this forum and you could have been working out. Id give up a little of your MFP posting time and exchange it for strength training.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    All this time wasted posting in this forum and you could have been working out. Id give up a little of your MFP posting time and exchange it for strength training.

No there's no time for that. Can't possibly do any sort of resistance training.
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Both Hashimoto's and Celiac are auto-immune diseases, as is type 1 diabetes (which I also have) and Graves disease. First, one must have the genes to have these, and then something must trigger the auto-immune response (i.e. where the immune system attacks a part of the body mistaking it for a foreign object). The genes that cause these are the same, and the only difference between someone like me who has one of them and not another is the trigger. Many individuals have more than one (as in my case where I have both type 1 and hashimoto's) as a result of something triggering both immune responses. So I am at risk of Celac if something were to trigger the auto-immune response.

My guess is that you are thinking of a situation where someone has Hashimoto's and Celiac (which is quite common). Someone with Celiac should be concerned with gluten, of course.

Here is some information that also outlines the connection between the diseases: http://www.celiaccentral.org/thyroid/

Ahhh, okay... You may be right, I'm not sure whether celiac was a factor or not. I'm certainly not questioning YOUR expertise on the subject. I'm sure you've read everthing you possibly can & are doing all you can to minimize any responses. Those autoimmune diseases like to hang out in groups, I see...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

No there's no time for that. Can't possibly do any sort of resistance training.

Like I said, I really truly wish you all were right about how much time I have. I can multi-task on MFP when doing things that cannot multi-task with weight lifting.

Here are my priorities... I realize some of you would prioritize differently, but I'm not changing these... in order:
    1. Work - I work FT
    2. Classes - I am a FT graduate student
    3. Politics - I hold several leadership positions in several organizations. This is an election year, so I'm quite busy. The time spent here will decrease after the election, which is why I will have time to workout in November, and I don't have time now.
    4. Weight loss - Yep, this comes after the other 3, and I'm not changing it. That means I'm trying to eat less for now because that is what I have time to do.
    5. Fun stuff - hiking mostly. It's been longer than I would like since I've had time to go out and do as little as a 2-3 hour hike.

**Obviously, it would be easy to put "fun stuff" higher and stress eat as a way to be less high-strung when I have no time for leisure, but I have prioritized weight loss higher. So I'm very stressed, very busy, and yet I'm still thinking of what is possible to keep weight loss as a #4 priority. Couple that with the fact that I live in a rural area and drive about 25k-30k miles every year mostly for normal stuff that may take you much less time to do because you don't add an hour or 4 round trip... hopefully you get my point. I really wish you were right and I had time to workout.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I have Omron body fat scales too. Over a period of months and years they have provided a reasonable trend.

But over a period of days and weeks they are a bit of a joke. I'm maintaining my weight and if I believed my scales then I can miraculously go from 19% to 13% body fat in a matter of days while not actually gaining or losing any weight. Incredible wouldn't you say? (That's 'incredible' as in impossible to believe!!)

As an experiment I tried morning and afternoon measurements and in a few hours the reading will change by a few percentage points, that's due to differences in hydration and the amount of food in my system. By the way - the afternoon measurement is much closer to the truth than the morning one.

You are putting far too much faith in an unreliable device.

Yes, I know there is some risk on accuracy.
    There is not "some risk on accuracy" with those scales. There is 100% assurance of inaccuracy. It's your scale.