I Did It!

Options
Hey guys!
So I'm new ish kinda? Been here a while under a different account but now I'm here to stay! Proof? It's a new week and I did something that I haven't done in years! I ran for more than 5 minutes. I'm not horrible at running, I guess. I just needed the motivation that only my dog can give me. He's just as new as me and we did the C25K (or the Pooch To 5K) today. Usually whenever I run, I feel like people are staring and judging and all that. I'm totally fine with that usually, but when I run I feel vulnerable. It's new, scary, I'm putting myself out there, and others are so much better than me! So why the heck would I try? just gonna say, my rainbow hair definitely doesn't make people NOT look at me and silently judge.

Let's just say, my animals provide more support and motivation than any negative human could harm me with. Running with him also helps me because I'm not focusing on how bad I am. I have to keep an eye on him, make sure he's doing alright and all that. Then my body just adjusts and "Hey look at that I ran 3 minutes in a row without stopping or wanting to cry about how pathetic I am!" Cool.

Is anyone else in that same boat? I'd love to hear from you! Today was my first day running and my first real day (not a test run) on this new lifestyle. I feel wonderful. I'm looking for friends to keep everything going this well and I'll definitely help you guys out. I know this support and motivation kept me going before, so I'm looking for it again! :D This might be a mini success story for taking the first step but I am just "Getting Started!"

~Tanisha

Replies

• CydMG93
    CydMG93 Posts: 11
    Options
    Great job on your run! I despise running, but I have always wanted to really get into it.
  • Nataliea87
    Nataliea87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm not a runner, but I have great respect for those who do it :)
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Great job! I too used my dog to help me get over the people staring not sure they ever really did but if I felt like they were I just dismissed it as they were checking out my pooch. :) Of course now he can no longer keep up with me on my runs so he stays home and sulks until it's time for frisbee or that evening walk.

My best advice, find your comfort zone with running and don't let others dictate your pace, don't worry about speed just do what you can.
  • Mohana94
    Mohana94 Posts: 54
    Options
    that's awesome! I feel the same way. I feel like I jiggle a lot and it makes me so embarrassed to run. I do alternative exercises to running like cycling. it makes me feel less self conscious. (and also I have foot problems that make running painful and almost impossible). lots of people look awkward running so don't worry.
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm not a runner, but I'm a dog lover and my pooch is the one who gets me up early every morning for her morning walk and expects the same in the evening. She is pretty fast and would probably love to run if I picked up the pace. Please add me as a friend and we can motiviate each other.
  • Stacy_of_Oregon
    Stacy_of_Oregon Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting your new running practice! I've tried the Couch to 5K program before, and I've never made it past the first day. I usually feel like I need supplemental oxygen and a paramedic on stand-by.

I like that you said it was not a "test run" but a new practice you're embarking upon. What a great mindset, especially since it's the mind that keeps us going when the flesh is weak. Your dog must be loving you for all this great care you're giving him/her.

I wish the best for the both of you! Keep us posted on your progress.
  • tanishabear
    tanishabear Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! You all just got friend requests from me for all the positivity! :)

And I know everything you just mentioned from personal experience- people always staring or I'm feeling like I could never do that because others are so much better and all that. But hey, what's the point of trying if you just give up?

I made a new routine- take Cody on my morning walk to my brother's school on days that we don't run and on days that we do he gets to sleep in a bit before we start! :) And when I get "stage fright" I just pretend everyone is focusing on my adorable dog. Secret? Usually they actually are! :D
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I started running using C25k in 2012... and now I'm training for a half-marathon. You can do anything you set your mind to. :) Way to go! I hope you end up liking running as much as I do.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You are going to LOVE running! I was in the same boat as you last year and now I've got my first marathon coming up in September! Running, if you let it, will change your life. It's just soooooo good. DOGS! DOGS! I've got two big ones and they SUCK at running. They can hike 8 miles with 3,000 ft. elevation gain and run circles around us the whole way but they can only run at a steady pace (not even a FAST pace) for three miles before they start whining! We are slowly building up the mileage though! Can I give you one piece of advice for running? Someone told me this too I'm sure but I was like "yeah yeah whatev". Take it slow at the beginning! Don't go too fast or too far too soon because you will probably get shin splints and once you have them they are hard to get rid of! For real! Anyhow, so happy for you!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Great job! The hardest part is getting out there for the first time. I've been running about 15 months and when I started I couldn't run up my street without stopping, that's less than a 1/10 of a mile. Now I usually run between 2.5 - 5.5 miles a day with no walking. It just takes time. Enjoy and be sure to watch doggie, they get over heated quickly and check his pads to make sure he's not getting any cuts or injuries.