Elliptical?

Options
Two years ago I lost 40lbs in 2 months using the elliptical for about 30-60 mins a day. I ate whatever I wanted and still lost the weight. Now I am combing elliptical training with a healthy diet. Is it possible to lose that weight that quickly again? Is that a healthy rate to lose weight?

Replies

• MsSashaFire
    Options
    5 pounds a week is a lot, I'm curious as to what your meals consisted of, because without creating a calorie deficit I don't see how it's possible unless you lost a lot of water weight which people tend to do when they first start working out.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    No. With the amount of weight you have left to lose, that's not a very healty rate of loss. A more realist rate would be about 1 pound per week or more like 8 pounds in two months.

You have to consider the whole situation. Were you heavier then? How much were you eating? How much were you working out? How come you regained the weight (perhaps the way you did it was too extreme and therefore not sustainable)?

It's like people who watch those extreme weight loss shows and think they can lose 12 pounds in a week too - in most cases, it's just not something a normal person living a normal life can do.
  • mandez19
    mandez19 Posts: 179
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with working out 30-60 minutes a day and combining it with a healthy diet. If you are putting that much effort in for 2 months straight you shouldn't be too worried about the number of pounds you lose. I would be worried more about what you do for the next 2 years after that 2 months of hard work and make sure you take in enough carbs for energy and protein for muscle repair, especially if you are working the same muscles every day.

I'm not implying you gained those 40 lbs. back you lost 2 years ago by the way. That is just what most people would have done.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating a healthy diet that is keeping up with your nutritional needs you should be fine. I don't like the extreme weight loss plans because they are more prone to that weight snapping back with a vengeance. Small changes in behavior over time have a much greater effect that dramatic changes.
  • jeanlake
    jeanlake Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I agree with poster about concerns over fast weight loss. IMO we can eventually maintain if we can go with a reasonable weight loss goal and intentionally move each day. For most people, this combination leads to a lifestyle change. I now use elliptical time for high intensity training - 1/2 mile and fast. My new love is row machine. I used to go 5 mins for a warm up. Now I'm on the row machine for 25 minutes. It's good to change things up to keep it interesting in the gym. I also cycle when I need time away from the gym. Good luck!