I need low carb & family friendly recipes! HELP!!

Options
mjean1229
mjean1229 Posts: 42 Member
I have 3 boys at home, a 16 year old, and two 8 year olds... And a man that is SO picky! Please help with low-carb meal recipes or just ideas! Thanks!!

Replies

• mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Check out Inspiralized.com. Lots of low carb and gluten free stuff.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    check out these sites:

forum.lowcarber.org
    (scroll down until you see the kitchen subforums)

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
    (Linda's Low Carb site)

HTH
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    We are having steak and cheese stuffed peppers tonight. My husband and son love them. I Just slice the beef up thin, sauté some mushrooms and onions and the beef together. Cut two green peppers in half and put in the crock pot. then I just pour the beef mixture over it. Throw a few slices of American cheese on top and cook on high for a couple hours. I'm sure it would be just a good in the over but we are at football till 8:30 every night so the crock pot is my best friend. It ends up being 8 or 9 carbs.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb now and have off and on for the past 4 years. I also have my husband, a pre teen stepson, and a 2 year old.

My go-to that I always recommend is tacos.

Taco salad (romaine lettuce, beef, cheese, sour cream, hot sauce) and regular tacos for them. Watch the carb count on the taco seasoning though. You could either make your own or, if you are really trying to reduce, take out a portion of meat for you before you add the seasoning.

Bacon wrapped chicken (if you don't think they'll like it, I bake the chicken for me and make BLTs for everybody else)

Pot Roast (again, watch the seasonings or get it plain and add your own) Throw in some potatoes and carrots for them to eat and then have a side of steamed veggies also for you to eat

Cauliflower crust pizza (I want to try making this with less cheese, I heard just an egg and seasoning will work too) For the amount of people you have you could have one cauliflower crust pizza and one regular crust but you may get the cauliflower crust pizza to fly

Chicken fajitas (same concept as the tacos)

Pork chops (one of my favs is a tablespoon of olive oil, tablespoon or sour cream, and a packet of ranch seasoning in the crock pot)

I just add a startchy side for them in addition to steamed veggies (fries, tator tots, mashed potatos, rice, etc)

If you typically make a lot of pasta or casseroles, after you brown your meat, take out a portion for yourself and continue with the recipe as is.

I also grill or cook up a few servings of meat to have in the fridge so if I can't think of something that is lower carb and something that I know my picky pre teen will eat, I'll just eat that. I really REALLY try to not make completely seperate meals. The pre teen will NOT eat anything cheesy so on those days he's with his mom Ill do something like a chicken broccoli cheese bake which is basikcally a casserole without potatos or pasta or make spaghetti squash with typically a marinara type sauce and ground sausage
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have 3 boys at home, a 16 year old, and two 8 year olds... And a man that is SO picky! Please help with low-carb meal recipes or just ideas! Thanks!!

Why would you push an unnecessary and restrictive diet on your whole family, did a doctor recommend doing so?
  • hbgirl85
    hbgirl85 Posts: 26
    Options
    One of my favorite recipes-not sure it's shown in the picture served on top of spaghetti. We eat it without spaghetti, just as a casserole dish. Everything is baked, not fried and you can go light on the cheese and sauce if you want. My kids love it! No pasta.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Eggplant-Parmesan-II/Detail.aspx?soid=carousel_0_rotd&prop24=rotd
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

Why would you push an unnecessary and restrictive diet on your whole family, did a doctor recommend doing so?

Agreed about pushing it on the rest of your family. If you're on low-carb, fine, just make whatever for them and then do the low carb version for yourself... like the taco salad option above.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    There are several helpful low carb groups on here. Join one!

ETA: Given what the kids are probably eating in school, don't fret the "don't put them on a low carb diet" comments, because one meat and veg meal a day ain't low carb. cheers
  • Kss1113
    Kss1113 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas and I have just started low carb to, so thank you! Do you have suggestions for breakfast?
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas and I have just started low carb to, so thank you! Do you have suggestions for breakfast?

I don't make breakfast for the family unless if its a holiday if you're looking for recipes that are for everybody in the family lol

For myself, I either do a protein shake (compare brands because the carb level (as well as fat and protein levels) vary so much), I make large batches of hard boiled eggs for on the go, or make a large batch of an egg scramble to last me a few mornings I usually have spinach, onions, and garlic, sometimes mushrooms, a few tomatoes (which if you're strict low carb, you may decide to avoid tomatoes, especially in induction AND sometimes this can make the scramble watery by day 2 or 3), a breakfast meat, shredded cheese or cream cheese (which makes them really yummy!), peppers, and really any veggie you can think of. Sometimes I use left over ground beef for a taco type omelette. Breakfast seems to be the easiest for me when it comes to low carb meal planning.

Have you tried Atkins bars? I know people say to avoid low carb substitutes (like low sugar candy, ice cream, etc), however I think its an individual thing. I personally don't have an issue with stalling if I have one a day and I like them for breakfast. My favorite is the Peanut Butter Granola Bar. Some people react the same way to sugar substitutes and sugar alcohols as they do regular sugar.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I also like to watch and limit my carbs. Chicken and vegetables is always a safe bet, and they are very easy to top with low-carb toppings (cheese, some salad dressings, bacon <3).
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I often cook for 5 others plus myself and what I find works for us is that we keep the carb separate. So for example a typical dinner would be roast chicken, rice or potatoes, vegetables, salad. We all have the same dinner but I take little or no rice and more of everything else. Same idea for breakfast e.g. omelettes or bacon and eggs with grilled tomato and toast - but I skip the toast or maybe just have half a slice. And I might throw some baby spinach in my plate.

I also make a batch of "eggplant fries" every couple of days which I keep in the fridge. I sometimes add this to my meals in place of the carb items.

This works for us.
  • mjean1229
    mjean1229 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, did I say I was pushing that "diet" on them...? I am pushing for my entire family to eat a bit more healthy. And I think pasta, bread, potatoes every day, every meal is a bit excessive. But thanks for your concern.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    There are low carb groups on Face Book that share daily recipes.....with pictures.