How many pounds lost until people noticed weight loss?

Options

Replies

• caskettfan
    caskettfan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have 70- 80 lbs to lose and most of my friends started noticing around the first 7 lbs. I lost inches faster than I did pounds, so they noticed that my clothes were a lot looser.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    People figure something is different but they can't place what it is?
    Haircut?
    Taller?
    Clean shaven?
    I've heard it all!
    So long as you keep wearing your old bigger clothes most won't notice the change till you're in smaller clothes!
    No rush! If you expect comments to motivate you, you may not make it! Most of the comments/ realizations likely will come much later when you've already done the hard work!
    So long as you know, keep at it!
    The rest will catch up/ catch on later!
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    a few people have noticed. i enjoy the compliments, but what really motivates me is when i punch new holes in my belt.
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    People started noticing after only 10 pounds. I don't like compliments on my weight loss from people because they'll say something like, "Wow you're looking so much better, if you lose a little more it'd be perfect." Like NO, I get to choose how much I want to lose, it's my body. If you think you can do better, DO IT. Don't tell me how much I need to lose.
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    For me it when I was down 20lbs. When I was down 40lbs it was really apparent.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    People started noticing around the 40-50 lb mark for me. But I'm insanely tall and I had a lot to lose. I'd say people normally start noticing at around 15-20 lbs.
  • amanda9402
    amanda9402 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I got comments at 10-15 lbs - the fat comes off my face first. I've been lifting too, so while I am still 20 lbs from my goal weight, I get a lot of comments about where those lbs are going to come from. I'm by no means skinny, but the excess is distributed pretty evenly, and I'm developing good muscle. I'll take what I can get.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My consensus tell me around 20-25 pounds is when the comments start rolling in. Love to hear everyone's comments on weight loss being noticed. Has to be one of the best things to hear. Still waiting for my first comment :)
  • skyytlz
    skyytlz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    at about 20 lbs i got a few people noticing, not many though. i asked my bff and she said she can see it, but because im losing weight evenly across my body, im assuming its not as noticible as if 20lb came off one section... maybe.

my roommate still doesnt see a difference.

tbh i dont see a difference in the mirror, just that some of my clothes fit better (not too tight) and some worse (getting to loose)
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    It took 49 pounds before I got my first comment from someone outside my family. But now (59 pounds), it's happening regularly. Wearing smaller sizes that actually fit makes a big difference in people being able to see a difference. While I could tell my clothes were fitting looser and my watch was looser, I could never tell a difference myself just by looking in the mirror. It wasn't until I took a picture and compared it to one taken 4 months earlier that I could see a difference myself (see current profile pic).
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I think people seem to notice when you've lost about 10 -15% of your body weight. So its a smaller amount lost if you're smaller and a larger amount lost if you're larger. At least that's what it has always been for me and I've noticed that as a trend when people ask this question too.

However, even if people notice, many won't say anything. They're afraid of offending you or are worried that you're sick. So even if others don't say anything, they have probably noticed.
  • Snugglebunny217
    Options
    I started out at 176 and started getting a lot of comments that I looked like I lost weight around 145 pounds.

It was after I had been at that plateau for about 2 months, and all of a sudden people started making comments. I think my body composition was busy changing during that plateau!

Interestingly, even though I'm about 10 pounds less than that now (I weigh 132), nobody seems to have noticed the weight loss since then. Although that might be because I need new clothes that aren't so baggy.
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    For me, the 20lbs is about right. Since I'm doing a lot of biking to lose the weight, my wife noticed my legs getting trimmer fairly early on in the process. She gets to see me in shorts a lot more than most folk. At work, when I got to 20lbs down, co-workers are really starting to see my progress. Of course, I have not kept the fact that I'm working hard on my fitness a secret from anyone.
  • agaraffa
    agaraffa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm reviving this old thread because I'm wondering the same thing. I hoping it could be because of the following:

1. How much weight you have to lose... When I started I had about 155 pounds to lose (god, seeing that written down makes me so mad that I let it get to that point).
    2. If you're still wearing the same clothes that you were when you started.

I understand that I still have a long way to go, so even though I've lost 56 pounds, I'm still 100 pounds overweight. On the other hand, I've still lost a decent amount and to be honest, nobody (outside of the people who know I'm doing this) have said a thing. I don't know if it's because I'm still wearing my old clothes or what. When I was at my top weight, I refused to buy clothes beyond a certain size, so I just jammed myself in the ones I had that were really way too small for me, maybe that has something to do with it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doing this for other people, but it would still be nice to hear from others that they are noticing, so you know you're making progress.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you have to lose begin with. I have received a few comments (nothing drastic) and I've lost about 16 lbs. from what I've read in other posts it seems to be around 20-25 pounds when people here some comments.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Well, if its my Mother we're talking about, probably never. :open_mouth:
    My first major loss a couple years ago it took about 15 pounds.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and started at 177. The first time I remember a co-worker commenting (I don't count my family because they KNEW I was trying to lose weight) I was down 14lb. I think she noticed because I wore a t shirt that had never fit me before so I'd gone down a size. A few pounds after that, and a lot of people start noticing. Almost 30lb later and it's incredibly obvious to everyone. :P
  • Medivh73
    Medivh73 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0 and I started at 400 lbs. I got my first compliment outside of my family when I had lost 50 lbs. I'm now down 75.2 lbs and with better fitting clothes, my losses are a lot more noticeable now.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    People noticed after every 5 on me. I was also lifting heavy and started at 5'4" and 163.
  • ButterflyJourney
    ButterflyJourney Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    it shows in my face when I'm losing. About 15 lbs it was noticeable