Working out after 800 calorie meal...

Options
Hi- so I just ate about 800 calories in one sitting, I still need to workout todAy but when should I, now or 10 hours from now? I had a lot of carbs and dairy, I am not totally sure if I can workout on a full stomach...

Replies

• markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Definitely let your stomach settle. You don't want to workout on a full stomach and end up puking. I'd wait at least 10 minutes before working out.
  • kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would say work out after an hour gives you some time. About an hour on the elliptical or treadmill will help plus some resistance.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My whole life, I've eaten and immediately begun to swim. Never had a cramp. Never had an any adverse effect at all.

It may work that way for some people, but it's not a universal rule that you can't eat and then move,
  • mundaycarroll
    mundaycarroll Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I would give yourself at least 2 hours before working out, especially since you said you ate a lot of carbs and dairy. Don't want to make yourself sick while trying to get a workout in.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400-1600 calories around 6 a.m. and then hit the gym within an hour, and have no issues and do it pretty much everyday. My point is this is only something you can answer for every person will be different in the way food will effect them during a workout.... Best of Luck
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Depends on you and may depend on the activity. I like to eat something like a chicken breast and a piece of fruit 90 minutes before running. I can eat something a bit more substantial and lift weights sooner though.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I give myself about a half hour to an hour after a meal. All experimental and depends how you feel
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    if it's anything bigger than a medium-sized sandwich, i always need to wait at least an hour and a half or so... otherwise, with the exercise i do (elliptical and running, which are more "bouncy" exercises), i tend to get nauseated, as well as just feel generally unwell in my stomach. if i eat a big burrito, i gotta wait more like two hours. from my experience i'd recommend waiting at least an hour if your meal was large and you felt very full at the end.