How do you know if you have a slow or fast metabolism?

Options
How do you know if you have a fast or slow metabolism?
Like how can you tell and are there ways to speed it up?
I heard about green coffee bean extract helps and so does green tea.

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    You can be tested but you should also know that it's highly unlikely that you have a slow metabolism.

The only way to speed it up is through increasing muscle mass and that increase is not that significant.

Green coffee been extract is snake oil and will do nothing but speed up the rate at which your bank balance dwindles.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you dont have thyroid issues then your metabolism is fine.
    there's no need to speed it up
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    You can be tested but you should also know that it's highly unlikely that you have a slow metabolism.

The only way to speed it up is through increasing muscle mass and that increase is not that significant.

Green coffee been extract is snake oil and will do nothing but speed up the rate at which your bank balance dwindles.

^this
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

^^^This. You can drink green tea if you like to drink green tea, but I wouldn't drink it expecting it to do anything drastic for your weight loss.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Green tea extract is a waste of money. If you post your wieght loss/gain goals, people will give you some good advice.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

You probably don't.

It's not worth the time and effort and probably not.

Not really.
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Eat 1 pound of steak. Then time how long it takes before you have to take a dump. Weigh your dump in ounces and divide that by the time to get your metabolic rate. 7 is average for most people

Metabolic rate = weight of dump (oz) /time between eating and dump (minutes)
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Eat 1 pound of steak. Then time how long it takes before you have to take a dump. Weigh your dump in ounces and divide that by the time to get your metabolic rate. 7 is average for most people

sorry but this made me laugh :laugh: (not 'cause i think it's wrong, just 'cause i can't imagine doing that..lol)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Green tea extract does not speed up metabolism, and neither does any food or other drink. Weight lifting and cardio do.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Yeah.....right.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Time to digest does not equal metabolism.

Getting your RMR tested isn't going to tell you anything you can't learn yourself from a month of intake and weight tracking.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options

Does it matter what kind of steak ? What if I want something a little more marbled... :laugh:
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    The only way you can really estimate it is by calculating TDEE calories by a good calculator - live off that for a week to a month, and if they are too low and you lose it's possible you have a faster than average metabolism - but these always have to be taken with a pinch of salt, there are a lot of other factors which aren't necessarily taken into account. Your estimated activity levels could be wrong and cause you to lose or gain etc.

And if you like green tea drink as much of it as you like, but if you hate it don't force yourself to as it's unlikely to do anything significant. Personally I drink it in excess but that's just a habit and it's healthy.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Corn might be a little easier to recognize. Or anything with bright colored, non-digestible parts. Legos? :happy:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You probably don't.

It's not worth the time and effort and probably not.

Not really.

I agree with this poster.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Laughs!