Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Experiment.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I buy flavored balsamics from the farmer's market. They're pretty sweet but a little goes a loooong way and you don't need to slather it to get the flavor.
  • Frenchy5483
    Frenchy5483 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Marie's Yogurt Dressing found in the refrigerated section of the produce aisle (usually) is my favorite dressing, low cal or not. It's pricey but it's delicious.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    no. there are none. Why would you eat salad voluntarily?
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I make my own dressings due to food allergies. For some I make a sour cream based dressing by adding balsamic vinegar, pepper and a little sweetener. For some I make a vinaigrette by mixing unsweetened fruit jam, apple cider vinegar, pepper and olive oil.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Thai peanut dressing (2T peanut butter, 3 T soy, garlic, honey, sriracha, ginger, 1/4 cup water, lime juice) - makes 5 servings

yum! We do something similar for stir fry veggies and/or noodles but I never considered putting it on salad. Gonna do that right away -- thanks!!

Ohh that's a good idea for stir fry! I especially like this one because the PB gives it a bit of protein. I use natural, so if you use sweetened, you may want to cut the honey down.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm very picky with salad dressings.

The only two I will use:

Trader Joe's Balsamic Vinaigrette, 80cals for 2 tablespoons. They make a fat free version for only 25 cals/2 tablespoons, but it tastes like satan's *kitten*. Trust me.

Stonewall Kitchen Maine Blueberry Dressing. Nice on a salad with berries, almonds, and goat cheese. Not sure of the macros on it but it's not very high in calories and tastes great.

When I actually put my chef hat on and decide to cook stuff, I make my own dressing with balsamic vinegar, good EVOO, a little sugar, and some really spicy amazing German mustard. Whisk together. Devour.

Now I want salad.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I like Great Value lite Raspberry Vinegarette Dressing. Get it at Wal-Mart. Can't remember the calorie count but it is low enough for me.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Stop drowning your salad in ranch dressing and the problem disappears.

It is salad. Not ranch style lettuce soup.
  • Hoopmom9420
    Options
    Kraft Roasted Red Pepper Italian with Parmesan
    40 Cals per 2 TBSP.

Love this dressing!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Kens Blue cheese is gooooooood!

But on the lighter side, Wishbone Roasted Red Pepper Italian is nice, and not a ton of weird junk in there.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm picky about dressings as well :)

Anyway, here is what I usually do:

2 Tbsp trader joe's olive oil

1/2 cup trader joes balsamic vinegar (comes in big 32 oz jar for like $4)

about 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, mashed

1 tsp honey

1 tsp ground ginger

throw in a jar and mix well - makes about 4 servings at about 110 cal per serviing
  • oldantired
    oldantired Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Light Creamy Ceasar

Fage - Total 0% In Grams, 75 g
    Lemon Juice - Fresh, 2 tbsp
    Oil - Olive, 1 tablespoon
    Generic - Red Wine Vinegar, 0.67 tbsp (15 g)
    Lea & Perrins - Worcestershire Sauce 2 Tsp = 5ml
    Reese - Anchovy Paste, 0.33 Tbsp (4g)
    Koops - Dijon Mustard, 1 tsp (5g)
    Spices - Black Pepper (Ground), 1.15 g (1 tsp)
    Generic - Garlic Clove, 1 clove (3 g)

Combine all ingredients and shake well. Makes 4 servings at 51 cals per.
  • MsBetteDavis
    MsBetteDavis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I actually like using regular salad dressing. My favourite is kraft poppy seed.

I just find that when I use low fat or other dressings that just don't taste good, I'm less inclined to eat a salad. Plus, I try to eat healthy in general and I also try and exercise 4 times a week, so it doesn't matter to me that my dressing is about 130 per two tablespoons.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I use a good olive oil most of the time - just pour it on
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I just use balsamic vinegar.. Tastes good to me and it's really low in calories.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    long ago, my dad taught me to like fresh lemon juice squeezed over salad. it became my go-to at restaurants because i don't like salads that are drowned by the salad dressing.

you can also go with a basic vinaigrette with extra virgin olive oil and your pick of vinegars, with some fresh herbs thrown in. nothing needs to be expensive, and there are tons of recipes out there.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Kraft Raspberry Vinegarette Lite 30 cals per 2 TBS.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,656 Member
    Options
    Use the lower quantity of sour cream and mayo in this recipe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/ranch-dressing-recipe_n_3769342.html
  • twiggysunshine
    twiggysunshine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I recently started using Bolt house farm yogurt dressing Ranch and blue cheese. I really enjoy it. I also use Alessi white balsamic (only 20 calories). I don't add olive oil and i's still good. It nicely compliments tomatoe and cucumeber salad.