Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do I get through this situation

How can I tell my grandma that I don't want to eat her food. I feel like she's trying to get me fat. Today she made Romanian polenta with sour cream and cottage cheese and I felt bad if I didn't eat any so I had a lot of it. I feel like a total failure today, and yesterday was a bad day too. I feel like I am always getting caught in these webs with people that are influencing me to eat unhealthy foods. Like for lunch today my friend gave me two of these cake things and than two packs of biscuits cookies and of course I ate them all cause there gooood. How do I stop this/

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Put on your big girl panties and just so no to food pushers. Or instead of eating ALL the food just eat a reasonable amount that still fits within your calorie goals.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    You either learn to just say that you are not hungry and don't eat it or you take a small portion. Food pushers don't just stop once you reach your goal.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    I felt bad if I didn't eat any so I had a lot of it.

False dichotomy...there are more than two options here. Your only choices aren't 1. Don't eat any or 2. Eat a lot of it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    You need to learn how to eat even good food in small quantities. Have a small serving of your grandmother's food, and add in a salad. Have one cake, save the rest for tomorrow.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    You need to learn how to eat even good food in small quantities. Have a small serving of your grandmother's food, and add in a salad. Have one cake, save the rest for tomorrow.
    ^This, because there is no food you shouldn't be able to eat.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    For your friend who is offering food you can either accept the food and then not eat it, or explain to her that you are working on improving your diet and turn her down.....simple enough.

If you live with your grandmother, and she's the one making dinner, then you can eat what she makes but manage your calories through out the day so that you can eat what she's making. Eat smaller portions and maybe help out at dinner by making a salad to go with it. If you don't live with her, then don't visit during meal times or tell her that you just ate. She may send you home with left overs. If she does, either don't eat it or manage your calories so you can fit it in.

Also, if you live with your grandmother you can explain that you are trying to eat healthier and see if she isn't willing to help you.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    There are polite ways to not eat food pushed on you. With grandma, eat a little, say you're full and ask to take the rest home. If someone sends you off with food you don't want to eat, wait until they're not around and then throw it out or give it away.

The world will always present food to you. It's up to you what you do with it.