Monday Morning Muffin Top

Options
So I bought a pair of pants in my normal size for work and I went to put them on this morning and I totally muffin topping it! :sad: I instantly felt terrible and grabbed my "safe pants" (you know the ones that you love because they give around the waist) and thought about it all the way to work and here I am noon and I can't stop thinking about it. I had lost 80 pounds two years ago, but just as I reached my mark and started to get ready to set my next goal, I was diagnosed with a mild case of Graves ’ disease. I was put on meds that the doctor warned me would make weight loss significantly harder and that I may even gain weight. I was so angry, I didn't want to take them! The sarcastic and pessimistic part of me thought of course this would happen to me. Normally, people with Graves' disease are rail thin and can't manage to maintain a healthy weight.

Needless to say, I took the meds I plateaued for a while and then little by little started to actually gain weight and I felt so discouraged I gave up. I stopped working out I slowly but surely went back to my old eating habits and here I am....with a muffin top and pants that don't fit anymore. I feel pretty crappy about it, I mean it sucks, but what else should I have expected to happen when I reversed all my good habits that I worked so hard for.

So here is the good news, I recently went to the doctor’s to have thyroid checked and after being med free for 10 months, my thyroid levels have stayed stable! So instead of being bummed out about this set back, I am going to celebrate my success. I am med free. I am only 29 years old and the only health problems I have is an overactive thyroid, that I have managed to normalize, and my weight. I know what I need to do so here I go again. I wouldn't normally share my story or divulge any information about my weight, with the exception of my sister and a few close friends, but I screw it! I figure I only have words of encouragement and support to gain by posting this…so here goes nothing.

I wish you all the best and success in your health goals! :bigsmile: