Tongue Piercing

TwiFan5
TwiFan5 Posts: 419 Member
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
I have decided to go and get my tongue pierced, I have wanted to get it done since I was 16 but never actually said ok this is it, I am going to get my tongue done so now I am, I will get it done after Christmas so am very excited.

Replies

• mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    you should make it a goal i wanna get a lip piercing after i lose so much weight but my dad would kill me haha
  • TwiFan5
    I am actually making it a goal with out telling people that it's a goal, I have decided to wait until I find out how much I weigh at the doctors in 11 days and then make my goal so I will post that as a goal after I know what my goal will be.
  • TwiFan5
    I had my tongue pieced years ago, shockingly I dont remember it hurting. What I do remember is the pain after! I wanted a hoop bar (whatever they are called) but bc you tongue swells so much it was not a good idea!! I shoulda just changed into the hoop when it heeled. So yeah I took it out bc I couldn't stand the healing pain....so get a strait barbell is what I'm saying lol!

Oh ok cool, my step mum has hers done, I am just going to get a straight barbell. :)
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    lol another cool piercing is the tongue franelum piercing its wierd but cool
  • Hello, I have had my tongue pierced for about 10 years and I have never had any problems with it. I do however have the shortest bar that I could safely put in my tongue. I did also have my lip pierced but took this after a few months because it started leaving black streaks on my pearly whites - so I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. Good luck anyway
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Oh dear.. I had such bad experiences with this... I actually had my tongue peirced 2x lol.. .after i got the 1st one everyone started getting them and so i needed to be different hee hee.... anyhoo, after about 3 years my dentist noticed my gum line was going down because the bars were rubbing against it. so i had to take them out and have this awful surgery where they cut out a chunk of the inside of my mouth then graphed it to my gum line and stitched it in.. it would be very expensive if you lived in us (since no free dental) and my gums are still not the same...
    this doesn't happen to everyone, but just want to share my bad experience.
  • spikess
    spikess Posts: 113 Member
    what kind of labrets were you using for your lip piercing? i've had mines done for almost ten years an never even heard of that happening before! that's a bit scary!!

any decent piercer, will put a larger straight bar in your tongue to allow for the swelling, usually goes down quite fast tho, just make sure you go to a decent piercer, it's usually when you don't that you hear the most horror stories.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    I agree with spikess. It's very important to find out who the legit piercers are. The ones who aren't particularly legit aren't going to be there for you as much if something goes wrong, either.

After my last birthday I finally decided to get my ears gauged, as I'd been thinking about it for years—probably near a decade now! Haha. I asked someone who had a bunch of piercings who was good and they told me about someone I already liked the idea of anyhow.

I've had a ton of problems since then (all of them minor, although my ear did swell once because the stud got caught in my blanket, absorbed the O-ring and then tried to reject it for a few days, healed up around it and a piercer was kind enough to dig it out for me ...) and the parlor has been totally helpful in making sure that everything goes smoothly, which is particularly nice since this was obviously the first time I'd had anything pierced.

I'm going to be getting my ears stretched next week, I think. Going up to an 8 gauge (from a 12) so I can get eyelets.
  • As a dental hygienist, I would advise not to get lip/ tongue peircings. I see so many patients who have tongue or lip piercings and the back of their gums or front of their gums to the bottom front teeth have been pushed down so far that they get VERY sensitive to anythign that touches the tooth... and they end up getting gum grafts -- more $$$$ in the long run for dental. Just a thought. :)
This discussion has been closed.