Ideal Protein - Day 1 anyone else?

Options
easto_79
easto_79 Posts: 102 Member
Hi guys

I just started Ideal Protein today; I've done this diet before and had great sucess and managed to keep the weight off, just haven't lost anymore. I've been off Ideal for almost 6 months now so am happy that I haven't gained back. I'm trying it again with adding exerice has anyone tried this before. I know they recommend no exercise but I don't want to lose my good habit and I love working out.

Thoughts / Talks?

Replies

• FITBITCHIN
    Options
    Week 7 here. I've lost 18. I stalled last week. One of the counselors said no exercise or I will lose muscle. I normally walk my dogs or ride my bike 30 min or something like that easy, but she said no so I sat. Well this week she said "I said no exercise to the point you can't carry on a conversation...and no fatigue" so I'm back to the norm. I expect my weight loss would be 2-3 pounds a week with a 2500 calorie burn, but last week no go. The rule is keep your normal activities, but no cardio or extreme exercise. Good luck. Rhonda
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    wait, WHAT?! No carrying on a conversation?! I'm sorry but that sounds insane. And since when does exercise make you LOSE muscle??? I don't know much about this diet but that really blows my mind.
  • skaboom163
    skaboom163 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Any diet that recommends "No exercise" sounds like a bad idea to me. Just eat clean and workout
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Any diet that recommends "No exercise" sounds like a bad idea to me. Just eat clean and workout

this x1000. My mom did this diet last year, lost a decent amount of weight quickly (which I guess is what everyone wants), stopped and gained it all back. She's doing it again now. Most people aren't able to maintain the weight loss and end up going back. If people aren't learning from it (portion size, proper nutrition) then it's a waste of money.

I'm not sure how exercise would make you lose muscle - unless it's because it's so low calorie that your body has no option but to use muscle tissue to fuel a workout? Like mentioned above, any diet that says "no exercise" cannot be healthy. Our bodies are made to move, and needs fuel to do so.

Also, it's essentially just a low carb diet, is it not? Isn't that something people can do on their own? Increase protein, increase veggies but still allow yourself healthy carbs (fruits, rice, quinoa). Decrease unhealthy carbs & junk. Weight loss may take a bit longer, but it is definitely more maintainable and a lot healthier.
  • CrazyWhiskers
    CrazyWhiskers Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was on this diet, back in the day, lol - anyway, its around 700 - 900 cals a day. I lost a lot of weight but guess what? I gained it all back! imo, save your money, you can starve yourself for free (not that I suggest that, or would :))
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

You don't even have to eat clean, just eat at a reasonable calorie defict...which it sounds like this diet doesn't have. If you're eating less than 1200 calories per day, that's not enough to support extra activity.

Since you're on MFP, how about logging food and exercise and see how that goes?
  • A_Rene86
    A_Rene86 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    No exercise that makes you out of breath to the point that you can't carry on a conversation is what she meant, I believe. You can go about your normal daily activities i.e., walk the dog, clean the house, etc., just no heavy duty stuff.

However, I agree -it does sound ridiculous. What kind of nutrition program advocates NOT working out?!
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Week 7 here. I've lost 18. I stalled last week. One of the counselors said no exercise or I will lose muscle. I normally walk my dogs or ride my bike 30 min or something like that easy, but she said no so I sat. Well this week she said "I said no exercise to the point you can't carry on a conversation...and no fatigue" so I'm back to the norm. I expect my weight loss would be 2-3 pounds a week with a 2500 calorie burn, but last week no go. The rule is keep your normal activities, but no cardio or extreme exercise. Good luck. Rhonda

I believe we have a Cool Hand Luke moment -- "What we've got here is failure to communicate".

Let's see if I've got this straight:
    What counselor said: "No exercise TO THE POINT you can't carry on a conversation,"
    What Rhonda heard" "No exercise."
    At the next visit all was clarified. Rhonda is good to go with exercise that does not exhaust her to the point of not being able to speak.

Counselor NEVER said "no exercise."
    Counselor NEVER said "no conversation."

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I was on this diet, back in the day, lol - anyway, its around 700 - 900 cals a day. I lost a lot of weight but guess what? I gained it all back! imo, save your money, you can starve yourself for free (not that I suggest that, or would :))

No wonder they recommend no exercise beyond daily activities. I wouldn't even be able to keep up with my daily activities on this.
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My friend did this diet, its pretty low calorie. She did lose a lot of weight, but she has kept some strange eating habits. It is a very restrictive diet (while your on it) and she does not eat at restaurants or get anything when she meets up for coffee with people.

The reason you can't excercise is because its already super low calorie.
  • sarahmetzger3
    sarahmetzger3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Ideal Protein Diet is a medical weight loss protocol that is use to treat Metabolic Syndrome or Syndrome X. You could be diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome if any two of the four following conditions is present: abdominal obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high blood sugars. Anyone on the protocol combines Ideal Protein pre-packaged foods that are made from high quality, highly absorb-able proteins, with their own fresh vegetables and meat. Most people on the Ideal Protein protocol only take in an average of 700-900 calories and as was suggested by another post do NOT consume enough calories to go above and beyond physical activity that is too taxing to the body. Walking at a brisk pace, cleaning house, exercising the dog, all of these are acceptable activities. Anything more that would leave a dieter out of breath can put their muscle mass at risk and we obviously don't want that! A huge component of Ideal Protein is the education component. In your weekly check-in with your coach/counselor/doctor you should be learning about portions, learning about how each type of food we consume (fat, carb, protein) affects the body, and other topics suggested above. Any dieter who gains back everything they lost did NOT do their due diligence of applying these methods of proper eating their coach SHOULD have tried to impart upon them. The last phase of the diet is all about working to maintain your new healthy weight with your coach/counselor/doctor with monthly check-ins and continued education. As with any diet if you go back to eating a highly fat/carb laden diet, you will gain weight.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Artionis wrote: »

I believe we have a Cool Hand Luke moment -- "What we've got here is failure to communicate".

Let's see if I've got this straight:
    What counselor said: "No exercise TO THE POINT you can't carry on a conversation,"
    What Rhonda heard" "No exercise."
    At the next visit all was clarified. Rhonda is good to go with exercise that does not exhaust her to the point of not being able to speak.

Counselor NEVER said "no exercise."
    Counselor NEVER said "no conversation."

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

OMG, I love that movie!!!! That made me LOL.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OP hasn't logged on in two months. I would say the "Ideal Protein Diet" wasn't so ideal after all...
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    FITBITCHIN wrote: »

LOL

Ever see the movie "Mean Girls?"