Awful relationship with food

Options
Hi guys, i really need some help with my diet - and when i say diet i don't even mean loose weight i just want to eat like a normal person (but a little weight loss would be nice).
After coming back from a 2 weeks holiday, i've gained quite a bit of weight which was to be expected and i havent beaten myself up over it. The problem is, a month since i've been back today and i still treat myself like I'm on holiday - my relationship with food is terrible. I eat whenever i feel like it, be that 4am to 3pm and i don't follow meals. Well, i'll have 3 meals but then i'll have calorie wise, an extra 2 meals mainly because i feel like it, not because I'm hungry. I have nil willpower whatsoever.
Does anyone have any advice for me? I've lost all passion to work out, i used to work out by dancing and lost a lot of weight but now i just get tired halfway through and think whats the point. Plus it's extremely hard to be my age (18) and loose weight because at my age in uni we go out a lot and i get AWFUL hangovers and then i binge. But I'm told its a lot easier to loose weight when younger.

I basically do not know what to do with myself, how to work out, how many cals etc, i have no clue. Someone please help!!

Replies

• rhysglover
    rhysglover Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Someone please help :( haha
  • ducati45
    ducati45 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    How's your mental health going? Have you ever been to see a counsellor before? There are plenty of tools on here that you can use to figure out how to track your food and calorie intake but if you are beating yourself up about it and and getting stressed out that's another issue as well. If you're at uni there might be someone at uni you can see to talk about how you are feeling a bit out of control?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I'm in university and I can say that I do not get wasted every night. It's very easy actually to go out and NOT drink, or to just have a drink or two. I lost weight first time around when I was 19, actually.

You're pretty young. I'd say start off by trying to only eat when you are hungry. So if you aren't hungry, do something else to preoccupy yourself. Or even just drink some water, which might help curb your urge to eat for no reason. Since you're in university, I'd also suggest utilizing your campus gym. Go in every day or every other day and study for 30 minutes on the bike or elliptical or something, even if it's just at a slower pace. I've seen lots of people study while doing cardio, and this is something that I will be doing myself as well once school starts back up again.

I feel like regardless of your age or circumstances, it's about making something a priority and sticking to that priority. So if weight loss is a priority, then that might mean you go out less often or you stay the designated sober person with your friends to make sure everyone's okay.

My poor relationship with food centered around labeling things as good or bad. I now practice genuine moderation, flexible dieting, IIFYM, whatever you want to call it... and now I don't binge anymore. For now I would say don't worry too much about calculating your calorie needs, just make some easy small changes in your life and stick to them until you start to feel better.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Stop trying. You don't really want to do all the hard work of losing right now. You'd rather eat yummy foods and drink alcohol and that kind of thing. So, do that and enjoy it while you do it! Life is short! Be happy!

If you feel like it one day, work out some more. If you don't feel like it, don't.

But stop eating and feeling bad. Eat what you please and feel good.

When you're ready to lose, you will!! Until then, stop being so angry with yourself. Serves no purpose. :)
  • rhysglover
    Options
    How's your mental health going? Have you ever been to see a counsellor before? There are plenty of tools on here that you can use to figure out how to track your food and calorie intake but if you are beating yourself up about it and and getting stressed out that's another issue as well. If you're at uni there might be someone at uni you can see to talk about how you are feeling a bit out of control?

It's not the best... i lost 3 stone before my depression kicked in and now i'm in a rut. My relationship with food is extremely weird and i literally cannot imagine myself loosing weight but i really want to as i now how a belly... and if I'm honest food does help when I'm eating it but after i just feel hopeless, because i know I'm regaining weight making me more depressed... i've eaten about 4,350 cals today. No exaggeration :/
  • rhysglover
    Options
    Stop trying. You don't really want to do all the hard work of losing right now. You'd rather eat yummy foods and drink alcohol and that kind of thing. So, do that and enjoy it while you do it! Life is short! Be happy!

If you feel like it one day, work out some more. If you don't feel like it, don't.

But stop eating and feeling bad. Eat what you please and feel good.

When you're ready to lose, you will!! Until then, stop being so angry with yourself. Serves no purpose. :)

You sound like my kind of person haha! Thank you, but i really would like to try to loose some weight just to make myself feel better you know? But i love your approach lmao!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You have to decide if this is something you really want to do and then make a commitment to do it. I know you are young so I am not trying to be mean but it comes a time in your life when you have to decide to take a pi$$ or get off of the pot. This is a decision all of us here had to make in terms of losing weight. This site has all of the tools you need to get started and the below link is filled with great information but the final decision to do or not do is in your lap. The sooner you learn about health, nutrition, and weight management, the better off you will be as you grow older.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants