two weeks working out no results

Options

Replies

• LoveHotCrossBuns
    LoveHotCrossBuns Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! It can take a bit of time to see the results on the scales...

I have been cycling a lot the last 7 weeks and cycling at various intensities, watching my calorie intake, only eating back part of my exercise calories and to see no change on the scales in all that time was frustrating to say the least! Granted I was only 7lbs away from my target weight and I know the last bit of weight can take an aeon to get rid of.

But I hung in there, had a couple of days rest and BINGO! 3lbs lighter for now 4 days on the trot!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Also, normally I am pretty easy going but the sarcasm feels rude to me right now. Sorry but my weight is a sensitive issue.

I can understand that. The thing is, you have to learn to laugh about this. Yes, weight is a sensitive issue, it's always been for me since I was 9. However, we are just random strangers on the internet, no one here knows you or is meaning to be hurtful. Laughter really is the best medicine, especially when one is feeling sensitive.

You do need to develop patience with weight loss. I've been lifting for 3-4 months now. My scale hasn't moved, but I've lost inches.

Anyhow...here's everything I learned in 2 years.

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.
    -Wayne Dyer

It's about moderation not deprivation. There are no good/bad foods, only bad eating habits. Do or do not, there is no try. You have to want it, you have to work for it, you have to realize that only you can do it.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1346163-change-your-mindset

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Excuses??? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Also, normally I am pretty easy going but the sarcasm feels rude to me right now. Sorry but my weight is a sensitive issue.

I would bet most people's weight is - or has been - or always will be a sensitive issue to them. I've been here over 2 years and I have learned a lot. The most important things:

If I listen, I learn. If I laugh, I learn. If I get defensive, everything gets shut down.

Hang in there. :flowerforyou:

QFT
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not nearly enough time to see much of a difference. Just keep on doing what you're doing and eventually you will start seeing some results.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am assuming your muscles are retaining water due to stating a new exercise regimen. Muscles do that in order to protect themselves and it aids in recovery. Once you get use to the exercise your muscles will shed much of the excess water.
  • donnylou
    donnylou Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Lose weight in the kitchen, get fit in the gym.

THIS is the easiest, most concise answer....and you should add weight training to tone muscles to help burn that fat when doing cardio.
    Don't get discouraged and don't let some of the more sarcastic remarks get you down. Everyone's body reacts differently and you might have scared your body to go into starvation mode with the drastic changes.
    I know I wanted to see immediate results but when you realize (as others have said) that it took a long time to gain the weight, it's going to take time to lose it too. Just don't forget that you're getting healthy just with the changes you've made.
    Good luck with everything and DON'T quit...just take your time! :wink:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    a) working out doesnt burn anywhere near as many calories as many people think

b) what are your workouts. you say you are working out for 90 minutes but 90 minutes of farting around isn't going to burn anywhere near as much as 45 minutes of concentrated effort
    Your focus is in the wrong direction. Stop working out so much. Monitor your diet.

I agree with both of these statements. It is said that 'you diet for weight loss & exercise for fitness'. Though the additional exercise can add to your deficit, calorie burns seem to be greatly over estimated =/ they also vary from person to person
  • All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give it a month then hopefully see some weight loss.

If you don't see weight loss in a month, will you give up? As they've said above, it's a life change. You have to either want to continue to do it or not.

This won't be a temporary thing. You will have to monitor your eating and exercise regularly to maintain whatever goal you intend to reach. It's about making yourself healthier, happier, and more involved in your own life.

What do you want your life to be like?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    It's only been two weeks give it some time. I didn't started seeing any changes till about 6 weeks in.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    LOL to all the people saying quit.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is largely about diet, not exercise. I exercise my *kitten* off and I maintain weight...I exercise for fitness. The bottom line is that you can do all the exercise in the world but if your consumption = overall output then you will maintain your weight.

Also, it's been a whopping whole two weeks...which is pretty much insignificant to what all of this is ultimately going to take.

I fully agree with the above. I work out because it is fun and I enjoy it, and because I want to be healthy and fit. I'll admit that I also do it because I want to be able to eat more, but keep in mind that I can work out for an hour and half, and I might get an extra 300 or so calories for the day. Exercise won't make that much of a difference in weight loss if you aren't also being careful about your caloric intake. Also, as with everything else in life worthwhile, it takes time. Just be patient and have fun with your exercise!!
  • Melissa_mojo
    Melissa_mojo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have worked out for 2 weeks now every single day for 1 1/2 hours, get my heart rate up to between 130-150 for that entire time, and virtually NO weight loss! .4 pounds! this is really discouraging and makes me want to just quit! any suggestions?

open up your diary so we can see better of what you are eating
  • trishacord
    trishacord Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you tracked your measurements yet? Maybe you have non-scale losses that you are not accounting for... I get frustrated at times when the scale does not show what effort I have put in... I then go to the tape measure to track off scale! If you have not started tracking your chest, waist & hips, then perhaps you should now!!! Don't get discouraged... You may not be changing your weight but the actual physiology of your weight (fat to fit)!!!
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As others have said, two weeks isn't long enough to see any real results. What you may find is your body composition is changing (much of it you won't even be able to see) and that the exercise is feeling easier. Even if you don't lose weight, you may notice less fat, and (hopefully) that you will start to appear more toned (maybe not after just 2 weeks though). I know its a bit of a cliché that muscle is more dense than fat, but if you are building up, all that fat loss is being offset by muscle bulk.

If you still aren't seeing tangible results in 6-8 weeks (yes, it takes that long) then start to look at your diet and accurately tracking everything you do. Not only diet, but also your exercise, get a HRM, IMO this is the best way for beginners to more accurately see how much effort they are putting into a workout.

TBH weight alone isn't very informative when exercising, especially if you are doing 1.5 hrs a day. Even taking some basic measurements with a tape measure around your body (hips/waist/thighs/neck/etc.) may yield more telling results than purely standing on the scales. And yes MFP does have space to measure these things ;)
  • linztx
    linztx Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I do have un underactive thyroid and am taking meds for it. I currently am walking at 3 mph at a 2.5 incline on the treadmill for 1 hour, then ride the bike for 30 mins. I realize its only been 2 weeks but most I know lose quite a bit in the first 2 weeks of eating right and exercise. I'm going to give it a month then hopefully see some weight loss.

Meds can play a role in weight loss; for example, my birth control pills had to be changed due to the fact it was a weight "gainer.." Maybe check the side effects, or speak to your doctor.

As others have said, this is most definitely a life style change, and results can take weeks, or longer to notice, and even longer for others to notice. Try to avoid the scale, as hard as that is. Make sure you are measuring inches, and focusing on the non-scale victories.

As far as your work-out routine, your body needs change. I never ever, do the same work-out two days in a row. I like to switch it up, and trick my body. For example, I may jog on the treadmill for 3 minutes, and then walk 5 minutes, then jog at an incline, and then walk -- I may do this one day, but the next day, I may avoid the treadmill all together, or just walk on it. And, last, I may, walk around the block/park... If I do the elliptical, I try to do 4 minutes manual, and then up the level by 1, and continue this until I can't handle it anymore, or reduce it by a level as the minutes continue. Also, incorporate steps, and some weights. You don't have to be a weight master, but a simple arm machine, or, leg machine. Who cares what others think. You are doing this FOR YOU. There are so many exercises that can challenge you, and work your body. DO it at your level, and build the strength, but, try and switch up your routine.

As far as diet, clean-eating, is the main goal. This has been my biggest change. I cut out almost all the crap. No sodas, no candy bars, no pizza, no good stuff! I google so many different recipes, I can't eat chicken every single day. I must switch it up. If you have instagram, you can see what I do, my progress, my food (healthy4a_new_me) I generally have 1 or 2 cheat meals during the month, but I don't go crazy, and I still work out on that day. Measure your food! Invest in a 15 dollar scale. You will be surprised how off a guestimate can be! Log everything, from the oil you use to cook, down to the gum you chew.

I completely understand your second response, yes, weight loss is a sensitive issue! People come here for advice, especially when we are new, and trying to learn. Always remember though, SELF-MOTIVATION is what you have to rely on, and although there will be negative comments, try not to let them get to you!

It takes time. It takes commitment. It takes determination. It wakes willpower. It's hard, but not impossible. Feel free to add me!
  • linztx
    linztx Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    ALSO, I urge the importance of a Heart Rate Monitor! This will give you more accurate results, and know where your heart rate stays so you can try and stay in your zone.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    .4lbs is still .4lbs, is it not? That appears to be a loss to me.

Curious what you expected to lose..... Might want to give it a little more time than 2 weeks.

This.
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring the foods you are eating? Guesstimating your intake can screw you over completely. Also, if you are eating mostly prepackaged stuff, the sodium alone coupled with your water intake could account for the lack of change.

Should also be noted that weight can fluctuate huge amounts during the day.

^^^THIS.

When I started, I guessed a lot of the time and cheated myself. A simple $30 investment in a food scale and eating clean can fix that right up. Also, I didn't weigh myself, otherwise I would've been here posting the exact thing you just did. I threw out my scale, bought a tape measure, and went by how my clothes fit. It's so much more rewarding. Take it easy on yourself, it really does take time. :flowerforyou:
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    2 weeks and feel like quitting? Do you bail so early on other things? Maybe its an excuse to quit. I'm in it for the long haul.
    Keeps me out of the doctors office too.