Exercises I can do at the YMCA? 425lb guy

Options
I've just started trying to lose weight again. I work at a factory now, as a packer, and I'm gaining some muscle, but I really need to drop weight, because my knees and left foot (Plantar faciitis) are killing me throughout the day. I have bought a YMCA membership, and just wanted to know what I could do. I was thinking of the stationary bike, and what could I do in the pool?

I'm getting married in a year, and I want to look good, and have her proud to marry me. I also want to be able to live to see my not-here-yet children grow up.

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    The YMCA near me has aqua aerobics classes. Maybe you can something like that, it would be easy on the joints
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Walk laps in the pool. See if they have water aerobics classes, they are awesome!! If you can walk on a treadmill, do that as well.

I would get an HRM so you can get an accurate calorie burn.

Good luck, if you are looking for extra support, you can add me! I have a long way to go, as well :flowerforyou:

Sam
  • motofairy
    motofairy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started at 433 and, while not all fat folk have the same body experience, I found that the following have worked well for me:

- weight lifting
    - pool aerobics (jumping jacks, bouncing all over the place, water weights, ab crunches, etc.)
    - seated cross training machine like NuStep or SciFit
    - seated cardio
    - modified yoga

You may find other things that work for you, like the stationary bike you mentioned. Other people have had success with rowing machines and ellipticals. Be cautious with doing any machines that work your knees; some motions may be safer than others depending on the issue with yours.
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm not an exercise expert by any means, but I bet swimming/walking about in the pool would be easy on your knees, plus a good work out. I've never tried a stationary bike, but I imagine it's also pretty low impact, and I've seen people sweat on those things! Good luck! :flowerforyou:

(Add me if you like!)
  • OneMoreValley
    Options
    HI there! It's good to hear you are taking the first step to getting in shape. I started at 300 pounds and now weigh 289 and have been at this MFP for 10 days. I have lots of body aches! I mean lots! So, I hear you :) I have found swimming to be very helpful in relieving the pain and I will do a set number of swimming laps, then I will "tread" water for like 10 minutes.
    My joints feel so good afterwards.
    Also, I like to do the recumbent bike, some people think that's for sissys, but if you do it on a good level of resistance and do it continuously for like 20 minutes you will sweat I promise :)
    I like to do a variety, I think it's fun and not mundane.
    So for my fuller figure and body aches I do 20 walk/20 recumbent bike/20 weights machines and on my other days I swim or walk outside for variation.
    For now, till I lose more I have to be very kind to my body and not afflict it because of what I've done to it. Know what I mean.
    Your joints are only as good as you treat them. Be kind to yourself and when it hurts, don't hurt it more with painful exercise. Unless people have been heavy like us, they don't understand the limits.
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    From someone that has been where you are (I didn't have the pain issues), I say this:

Get on the stationary bike and do it until you can't stand it anymore. Keep doing it. Swim as best you can for as long as you can, and make sure to ACCURATELY monitor your intake.

No **** at all, you will lose more from changing your intake than you EVER will from exercising. Exercise will help you, but it won't fix the problems that have happened because of poor eating habits.

I say these things not to insult you or offend you, but so that you can hear them from someone who has been where you are and understands VERY thoroughly the reasons for which you have decided to start this journey.

AND NEVER STOP.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Dropping weight comes from calorie deficit! You don't have to kill yourself at the gym in order to lose weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision to get healthier! I would try the swimming at the Y, great aqua aerobic classes!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Walk on the treadmill. Swim in the pool.

There's quite a few aqua aerobics classes, all of which would probably work well for you.

Seriously though, with as many classes and programs the Y has, just go and try a whole bunch of different classes and pick out the ones you truly like. The ones you like are the ones you'll stick to.
  • M_Fitz72
    M_Fitz72 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The eliptical machine is an excellent place to start along with an improved diet by tracking your calorie intake here! There is little to no impact on your knees, lower back, and feet with an eliptical machine. Invest in a heart rate monitor to get a more efficient workout. Also, try walking on the treadmill for as long as you can. Try to work up to an hour straight. I've recently begun fast walking. Although it may look a little silly, it reduces the pounding on your joints and really gets your heart rate going. Hope this helps.
  • all4yum
    all4yum Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I started at well over 300 pounds. I'm now 236. I find the elliptical is really good. I can go for 40 minutes now and I also have terribly painful joints due to autoimmune issues, it doesn't make it much worse. I also enjoy lifting. Just take small steps, small changes make big changes.
  • criticaldog
    criticaldog Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congrats, and Good for you!

You're already here, on MFP, so in theory you are tracking your Calories. You can google up "Base Energy Expenditure" or something along those lines to see how many calories you need, and work on a deficit.

Losing weight starts in the kitchen, as they say.

Beyond that, lots of folks here have mentioned walking the pool, or pool Aerobics. I would totally agree with that, get that heart moving, get that fat burning!

If you can, see if your YMCA has a trainer you could do a session or two with. Tell him you want to focus on upper body weight exercises due to injuries (foot and knee), and see what sort of weight routine will help you.

This is going to suck. You're going to be sore, you're going to be sweaty, you may have cravings like mad, but if you stick to it you will prove something to yourself, and to your wife, and to everyone who knows you. You will be That Guy, the one who changed himself.

Good luck. You can do it!
  • DarthScabrous
    DarthScabrous Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have definitely cut down my calories. I was a center in high school, and weightlifted all the time. My knees are bad because I got into an accident my first semester at college, and the dashboard crumpled into my knees. But after that I kept that same high caloric intake. Now, I've cut my meals to this, at least until I can get a good amount of healthy meals figured out. I'm eating one turkey sandwich on wheat bread and cheese, with mustard. Two yoplait strawberry yogurts, and water. I'll supplement a banana or other fruit if I still feel a little hungry, and somedays I get sweet potatoes and boil them to go with it. I know I can't keep eating the same thing, but its ok for now until I get some recipes.

As for water aerobics, they do, but I work 1st shift, and the aerobics class is in the morning, so I miss it.
  • TyphonRex
    TyphonRex Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    As a fellow giant fat-*kitten* 425 guy, I'll say this: your - our - biggest battle will be in the kitchen (and avoiding the fast food drive thru line). You can work up to high intensity interval training and full body weight complexes, but they still won't come near to the effect eating right and counting calories will do for you - and me.

That said, I feel ya on the planar faciatis. It's finally started to effect me in the last few months, and it sucks.

That said, as you start to get your eating under control and still want to get to the gym, I'd do some reading on what I mentioned above: high intensity interval training and full body weight complexes.

An example of HIIT would be hopping on a bike or elliptical, warming up for five minutes, and then going through 8-10 cycles of 30/15 seconds pushing hard, and 60/30 seconds of medium pace. Adjust as you are get more in shape.

BUT, if you're like me, you may find that your body is all kinds of ****ed up from packing on so much weight. I need to focus on functional mobility, stretching, and the like before I try to start squatting and deadlifting heaving.

Feel free to friend me if you need another 400 lbs plus bro here.

Got nothing but love for you under 200 pound girls out there, but us big boys got to band together on this ****.
    Dropping weight comes from calorie deficit! You don't have to kill yourself at the gym in order to lose weight.

Right on the money.
  • DarthScabrous
    DarthScabrous Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The soreness is nothing new. Working at the factory has helped me get better with determining which pain is actually severe, and which is just me whining. I believe I can do this! I know I have to have an outside reason, aside from I want to look better. I'm doing it so I can live a long, healthy life with my family.

I've tried the treadmill, but it seems I'm so heavy that when I step, I literally stop the tread, so its not working too well.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    There is a large guy that goes to my gym. He uses the stationary bike. I own a stationary bike and used that while I was recovering from foot surgery.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the pool. Not only does it keep stress on your knees to a minimum (and your foot won't hurt either), but you also get water resistance working for you so walking in the pool is even better than on a treadmill or just around on a sidewalk - bonus points. As you lose some weight, the pressure on your knees will lighten and you should be able to move to other kinds of cardio.

I'm a big fan of swimming laps but even just doing things that would otherwise jar your joints - jumping jacks, jogging in place, etc - will be easier on your body In the pool.

I feel like that is going to be a good starting point for you -- while the battle is won in the kitchen, movement in general will help keep you strong and healthy throughout the process (and burning more calories helps from feeling like you absolutely can't eat! too, because you can eat back some of it and still keep your deficit strong).
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    As a fellow giant fat-*kitten* 425 guy, I'll say this: your - our - biggest battle will be in the kitchen (and avoiding the fast food drive thru line). You can work up to high intensity interval training and full body weight complexes, but they still won't come near to the effect eating right and counting calories will do for you - and me.

That said, I feel ya on the planar faciatis. It's finally started to effect me in the last few months, and it sucks.

That said, as you start to get your eating under control and still want to get to the gym, I'd do some reading on what I mentioned above: high intensity interval training and full body weight complexes.

An example of HIIT would be hopping on a bike or elliptical, warming up for five minutes, and then going through 8-10 cycles of 30/15 seconds pushing hard, and 60/30 seconds of medium pace. Adjust as you are get more in shape.

BUT, if you're like me, you may find that your body is all kinds of ****ed up from packing on so much weight. I need to focus on functional mobility, stretching, and the like before I try to start squatting and deadlifting heaving.

Feel free to friend me if you need another 400 lbs plus bro here.

Got nothing but love for you under 200 pound girls out there, but us big boys got to band together on this ****.

Right on the money.

I've been incredibly lucky, I think... I've not encountered mobility issues or pain from my weight (other than being slower than someone half my size). HIIT is a great thing when you can get into it... As I said in another thread earlier, I love nothing more than being able to do the same amount of work that would take me an hour at low intensity into a sub-30 minute time frame.

It's ****ing hard. There's no doubt, but you'll find that if for absolutely no other reason than the way you feel? It's worth it 1000000%.
  • chunkiedunker
    chunkiedunker Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The soreness is nothing new. Working at the factory has helped me get better with determining which pain is actually severe, and which is just me whining. I believe I can do this! I know I have to have an outside reason, aside from I want to look better. I'm doing it so I can live a long, healthy life with my family.

I've tried the treadmill, but it seems I'm so heavy that when I step, I literally stop the tread, so its not working too well.

i have already messaged you so you kinda know my situation, i just wanted to stress to stretch very well before and after. i use to make the mistake and not stretch after working out. and then you do that i cant sit down for 3 days because i cant bend my legs. Its important to keep your muscles that you haven't been using stretched so they dont pull or get sore.

the swimming pool can be great even if its just getting in and swimming laps. but like everyone. get your calorie intake under control, and just move doing anything, even walking the track at ymca if they have one, shooting hoops, walk the halls of the ymca. ours is fairly big so i have walked the halls if the track is being used and the weather outside stinks.

good luck. you have already started the hardest part. (okay maybe not the hardest part but it ranks right up there. ) keep up the good work.
  • Cracken99
    Cracken99 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Planar faciatis is the worst! Mine took over a year to completely heal. They say that losing weight is more about diet than exercise, but for me, exercise gets me more committed to the diet part. I am 275 and the exercises I thought I could not do, I could once I tried. It was more my mind telling me I could not do it. I do Zumba now and am not the biggest person in the class, I do what I can and more than I thought I could and push myself everytime. I feel alive now. Try all different things and find what you like, you will be more likely to stick with it. The Y has a lot of choices. I agree with the Pool work, maybe look at some YouTube videos on what you can do and then go to the Y and do it, since the Aqua classes do not fit your schedule.