Hot Air Popper

Options
kellbell
kellbell Posts: 145 Member
If you have a Hot Air Popper that works well, please let me know.

We love our popcorn, but hate all the sodium in the microwave brands.

Thanks ahead of time!!!

Replies

• kellbell
    Options
    If you have a Hot Air Popper that works well, please let me know.

We love our popcorn, but hate all the sodium in the microwave brands.

Thanks ahead of time!!!
  • JennyBanker
    JennyBanker Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You can get them at walmart for under 20 dollars.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I use mine to roast coffee...:laugh: But I got it at Walgreens, and the kids use it for popcorn, when I'm not using it to roast coffee
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    I use mine to roast coffee...:laugh: But I got it at Walgreens, and the kids use it for popcorn, when I'm not using it to roast coffee
    Really? I'm not a coffee drinker so this is news to me:laugh: Is yours an air popper or a coffee roaster technically? I thought you buy the coffee beans already roasted??? Don't laugh at me, I'm not a coffee drinker:blushing:
    Also what is the difference in popping on the stove vs. using an air popper?
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    U get less burnt kernals on the pan for one...lol I ruined a pan the other day by not moving it around enough. I have to move it constantly b/c I don't use any oil at all and I stopped for a second to let the dog out and smoke started rolling outta the pan..lol not pretty! It had to sit on the deck while the smoke subsided :)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    There's also a great bowl thingee for the microwave you can buy. (I got mine at WalMart, I think). There are special cardboard discs that you pop into the bottom, and then you can pop in the micro without oil.

It works really, really well. I like it because in my teeny apartment, I don't have room for an extra appliance.

I also have one of those old fashioned "crank-turned" popcorn poppers, and you don't have to use much oil at all for it.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know that they still made those things.....I loved the one that my mom had growing up...next time I'm in Walmart, I'll have to check it out!

Thanks
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Really? I'm not a coffee drinker so this is news to me:laugh: Is yours an air popper or a coffee roaster technically? I thought you buy the coffee beans already roasted??? Don't laugh at me, I'm not a coffee drinker:blushing:

If you tasted my fresh roasted, fresh ground coffee (which is truly a different drink than the coffee most people are used to) you would be hooked! So, BEWARE muah ha ah ah.

It's an air popper. I buy the green beans from Lola Savannah or Ebay or Java Joes. The air popper works really well for coffee because it blows the chaff (the thin outer coating of the bean) out of the popper (I catch it on a grease splatter screen or a bowl) and once the chaff is blown off, it roasts the beans. Doing it on the stove, you have to shake it the whole time and the chaff starts burning among the beans (very smoky and yucky.)
  • DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love popcorn and use my Orville Redenbacher's (SP?) one very frequently... :smile:

Throw in the amount of popcorn you want, plug it in, and out comes popcorn. No oil and it's so simple to clean up, just throw away any kernels that did not get popped (there are usually one or two) and wipe clean with a paper towel if you want.
  • kellbell
    Options
    I love popcorn and use my Orville Redenbacher's (SP?) one very frequently... :smile:

Throw in the amount of popcorn you want, plug it in, and out comes popcorn. No oil and it's so simple to clean up, just throw away any kernels that did not get popped (there are usually one or two) and wipe clean with a paper towel if you want.

That sounds great. I was looking for a good brand name. Years ago I bought a cheap one....(u get what u pay for) and all the darn kernels would spew out into the bowl. Only half would pop.

Sounds like I will give Orville a try :happy:

Thanks for the tip!!
  • kellbell
    Options

If you tasted my fresh roasted, fresh ground coffee (which is truly a different drink than the coffee most people are used to) you would be hooked! So, BEWARE muah ha ah ah.

It's an air popper. I buy the green beans from Lola Savannah or Ebay or Java Joes. The air popper works really well for coffee because it blows the chaff (the thin outer coating of the bean) out of the popper (I catch it on a grease splatter screen or a bowl) and once the chaff is blown off, it roasts the beans. Doing it on the stove, you have to shake it the whole time and the chaff starts burning among the beans (very smoky and yucky.)

Love my coffee too...yet another wonderful tip. Guess I will get all jazzed up on some caffeine and eat popcorn...heh heh.