Question regarding stress and weight loss.

Options
Does stress affect our metabolism? I mean can it change how our bodies work so weight loss becomes more difficult? I'm not thinking in terms of our response to stress as in eating more to become numb or for comfort. I'm wondering about the physiology of stress and how our bodies adapt to it? Anyone know?

Replies

• Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    no question it can
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Stress can play a big part in trying to loose weight. It also can cause other health problems. Research it.
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Well, I am going to start off by saying love the hamster pic! Way cute. And yes, stress effects your weightloss. Some people lose weight if they are stressed out. Other people will gain weight because they eat more when they are stressed out. Just depends on how you're eating and what you are doin to control your stress. If you're exercising to handle help control your stress then you should be fine.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Stress raises cortisol levels. Cortisol is a hormone that the body produces that causes the body to catabolize muscle and store fat. The fat storage is generally specific to the abdominal area, which raises the risk of heart disease. So, yeah, you should avoid stress if possible.
  • wardba4
    wardba4 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I remember reading an article linking stress and bellyfat.
    Befor I started MFP I would deal with stress by eating!
    Now I deal with stress by either going for a brisk walk or hitting thew gym. What a difference I have noticed.
  • wardba4
    Options
    More stress = more belly fat I read that somewhere

Before MFP I dealt with stress by eating my way thru it!
    Now i either hit the gym or go for a walk!

What a difference I have noticed!
  • wardba4
    Options
    sorry for double post internet connection issues
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Stress raises cortisol levels. Cortisol is a hormone that the body produces that causes the body to catabolize muscle and store fat. The fat storage is generally specific to the abdominal area, which raises the risk of heart disease. So, yeah, you should avoid stress if possible.

This is what I was going to say.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have thought that stress and weight loss had any connection but I do now.

The last week the stress in my household could be wrung out like a rag. My husband is recuperating from open heart surgery and the burden of caring for him, and all of the household chores has fallen on my shoulders. He sleeps a lot, so the dogs and I are tip-toeing around like thieves.

I've been faithful to my 1200 calories a day, and have gotten in all of my exercise sessions and the scale has not budged a bit from last week Monday. All this does is add to my stress level. I can't seem to win.
  • cjegger
    cjegger Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, it certainly can! UGH! Just one more thing that sabotages our efforts. No matter how I try to let go of stress, I just can't seem to do it. Finances, youngest son in his senior year so dealing with all the stuff that goes along with that and getting ready/applying for college (plus thinking about having an empty nest for the first time in 31 years), parents health, husband whose job has him more than he is at home.....sometimes I just want to run away to a white stucco cottage on the Amalfi Coast and never come back....
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    sometimes I just want to run away to a white stucco cottage on the Amalfi Coast and never come back....

Can you make it a two bedroom cottage? If so, I'll join you! And you can have the handsome wine baron who rides in on the white horse. I'm too old to enjoy it.