Are you supposed to lose weight day by day?

Options
For the past four days I've been weighing myself and my log is better than ever so I was expecting weight loss but my weight is exactly the same.

So I started thinking that I might lose weight at the end of the week or something because last week I weighed in for a few days and saw no difference but lost about 2.5 half by 2 weeks

Am I doing something wrong or should I just be patient?

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No you will not lose weight every single day. In fact you may appear to gain weight even. There are many variables that go into scale weight, water weight, glycogen, undigested food, etc. You can chose to either track once every week or two, or track daily and just ignore the minor variations and pay attention to the overall trend (I plot mine up in excel and then add a trend line).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No. It's not linear and there will be days, or even weeks, where you stay the same or gain.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you chart your weight daily, in the short term it will look like it bounces all over the place. In the long term, if you're successful and are actually losing weight, the general trend line will go down (but you'll still see variances every day).
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Probably best to weigh once a week at the same time wearing approximately the same clothes. Even then, there will be some variation related to what you are eating and hormones, etc.

I do weigh daily, but similarly to BusyRae I do not worry about the number day by day but the trend over time.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No, you won't lose weight day by day, everyday or what have you. That's just not how weight loss works. There will be days/weeks/months you lose, some you gain, and some you stay the same. As long as there's a downward trend, you're doing it right. Just give it time.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mb4p56YgHZ1rfja63o1_500.gif

I weigh myself daily, and the number goes up and down throughout the weeks and months. The overall trend is down, so no worries - those daily fluctuations (or standstills) are completely normal.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    We wish! LOL!