help i'm a daily weigh in fruitcake

Options
seriously.....does anyone have suggestions on how to avoid being attached to the scale? i've become obsessed with weighing myself first thing in the morning. i think all day long about how the scale will reflect if i eat this or that.
i have no idea how to cut out carbs (which i note i'm high on) because I LOVE THEM! i'm having a breakdown of some sorts!! i feel like i'm one binge away from failure!!!!

Replies

• brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Have someone in the house hide it unti weigh in day!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    One binge does not equal failure...so do not worry about that. What sort of carbs do you eat? I have switched all my carbs.. all the pasta is whole grain, multi-grain or wheat bread, brown rice instead of white... They are lower in carbs and more filling while not depriving myself of some of the meals I really like.

As to the scale... if it is that big of a problem throw it out! I do not have a scale in my house and only use the one at the gym once a week. If you are eating better and exercising more you will find a lot of NSV (Non-Scale Victories) to keep you motivated!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    That's such a hard habit to break. I put the scale somewhere inconvenient cause if its in the bathroom or bedroom, it talks to me. Now I'm down to weighing in on Monday & Friday. Friday I can see how much weight I lost during the week and then Monday to kind of give me a reality check after the weekend - did I gain? Need to get back on track.

I don't cut any food from my diet. I have everything in moderation. But in case of making a good choice - like a piece of fruit vs. chocolate - I always ask myself:

DOES THE CHOICE I'M MAKING NOW MOVE ME CLOSER TO OR FURTHER FROM MY GOAL?

Good luck, stay strong!
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    No advice from me.. I weigh in every morning too AND I also go as far as weighing in the evening. That said I do not freak over the numbers. Just check it twice daily to see where I am at is all. I am always 3-5 pounds heavier in the evening. I put this down to food and water still in system. good luck on getting the scale monkey off your back. LOL
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    First I weight Daily. Some people cant handle it. That may be you. I dont think weighing every day is bad thing it helps to motivate and keep people on track. But you also have to be in a right mindset to accept the occasional gains that come with weighing everyday and know what causes them.

As for your carb issue. Im not one that will give you some magical advice about how to lower your carbs or not crave them at all. Unfortunately its all gotta be if you want this bad enough and you are really tired of being in your current state than you will change. Its a difficult state of mind to attain. But once you get there don't let it go. You can empower yourself. This carb thing is all in your head. Foods are like drugs you become physically and emotionally addicted to them. You have to control your own cravings and binges. The only advice that I can help you with is slowly ween yourself off little by little.

Today start buy not eating one type or limiting it to 1 serving for the whole day.

I hope something Ive said can help you.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    We only heat out house up to 64 so it's pretty chilly. I keep my scale downstairs (my bedroom/bathroom is upstairs). So to get to the scale I would have to walk through the whole house half dressed...not something I want to do each morning after I've just gotten out of my warm bed. Plus then I'd have to go back up the stairs to finish getting ready. It works really well for me! When it was in my master bath I weighed everyday. Maybe that would work for you too.
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Have someone in the house hide it unti weigh in day!

Love this idea and think I am going to steal it! I weigh every day and was pretty bummed today that I gained 2 lbs BUT I realize how the body can change especially because of hormones or whether or not you have taken a crap lately so no biggie.
  • MrsBrosco
    Options
    I make my husband hide the battery and only give it to me on weigh in morning :) Or you could put it in the basement so that way your not so tempted to get on it all the time (I hate my basement :))
  • DayAtATime
    Options
    I am a daily weigher as well. I feel it works for me.....if I am down that day I feel like I am making progress and if I am up on a particular day I realize I need to keep going. I look at overall trend and ranges and don't freak out if it doesn't make sense. For instance this week makes no sense to me at all. I have eaten at my calorie goal and exercised and not eaten all exercise calories, and weigh about 2 lbs more this am then on Monday morning. I assume that it is water weight and I just keep going...tomorrow is another day!

In regard to carbs, I have tried to cut back. I cut back by eating alot more vegetables and fruit. I have 2 vegetables with dinner instead of rice or potatoes. We have eggs at my house in the morning but do not have toast. We have a fried egg with canadian bacon...no bread! For lunch, I love salads so I don't bulk up on carbs at that meal either. I do eat pasta, pizza on occasion and look at it as a treat.
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Guilty as charged! I am a daily weigh in person also. Sometime's 2-3 times a day.....lol! I don't have a problem with it though. My scales have become my new bestest friend after so many years of staying way away from them. Seeing those numbers go down really have helped me stay focused daily on my program. When I first started my program, and the husband wanted to go out to dinner, I would get on the scale before we left, and it helped me focus on what to eat when we got to dinner. It has also helped me learn different things about my body. The main thing I have learned, is that sodium is worse on me then calories. After a high sodium day, my scale is up the next morning, my fingers and ankles are swollen. Sooooo, anyway, with a 88lb weight loss now, since March, all I can say is being on the scale everyday isn't always a bad thing! Goodluck dear!!
  • saraeyster
    saraeyster Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have teamed up with some great partners on MFP and we are going to weigh in on Sunday. I am going to keep Sunday as my weigh in day. I used to be just like you I would weigh every morning but this can drive you crazy. Put the scale away and make that another part of this just like counting your calories. You can do it!! It is not only about the number on the scale but how YOU fell.
  • OGFleabag
    OGFleabag Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    First I weight Daily. Some people cant handle it. That may be you. I dont think weighing every day is bad thing it helps to motivate and keep people on track. But you also have to be in a right mindset to accept the occasional gains that come with weighing everyday and know what causes them.

I do this as well. I don't pay attention to the number really, it is more motivation for myself to stay the course. obviously there are fluctuations during the week, and TOM, but I am ok with that and understand. If it is too much...get rid of it, put it in an inconvenent place or have someone hide it til weigh in day, like everyone else said.

carbs - my downfall also. I have chosen to seriously limit the carbs. IF I am having rice, I have brown rice and I measure 1 serving, and if I am having pasta, it is whole wheat, and I measure 1 serving. I do not eat chips anymore, or crackers for the most part. I have switched to rice or wheat cakes. I have found that the carb cravings have very much lessened the longer I do this, and now, if I want a couple of chips, it doesn't seem like a big deal and i am not wanting to eat the whole bag.
  • shellydd
    shellydd Posts: 156 Member
    Options

As for your carb issue. Im not one that will give you some magical advice about how to lower your carbs or not crave them at all. Unfortunately its all gotta be if you want this bad enough and you are really tired of being in your current state than you will change. Its a difficult state of mind to attain. But once you get there don't let it go. You can empower yourself. This carb thing is all in your head. Foods are like drugs you become physically and emotionally addicted to them. You have to control your own cravings and binges. The only advice that I can help you with is slowly ween yourself off little by little.

Today start buy not eating one type or limiting it to 1 serving for the whole day.

I hope something Ive said can help you.
    yes what you've said will be of benefit. it's the realization i'm not alone in this whole process. it's the "mindset" required to make the right choices i'm afraid of losing. it can be exhausting
  • shellydd
    Options
    thank you!
  • shellydd
    Options
    One binge does not equal failure...so do not worry about that. What sort of carbs do you eat? I have switched all my carbs.. all the pasta is whole grain, multi-grain or wheat bread, brown rice instead of white... They are lower in carbs and more filling while not depriving myself of some of the meals I really like.

i don't know why i didn't think of this before....i guess because it's a learning process. i will switch to whole grain pasta and brown rice. i think i would really have a harder time with losing weight if i cut out all the carbs completely.