I need some suggestions

Options
Hello All!
So I recently had some blood work done and my triglycerides were at 654 during fasting. My doc has put me on metformin 1500mg a day. She also wants me to cut out all added sugars and do a very low carb diet until my numbers get more stabilized. The problem I am having is finding fruits and veggies that are low in carbs. I eliminated all flours and processed foods, so basically I am eating fruits, veggies, meats and beans. I just need some ideas. I have recently started making smoothies with my nutrabullet but turns out that bananas and blueberries have high carbs. I just need some ideas about what is considered low carb. If you can help with what has worked for you regarding a low carb diet that would be wonderful! Thank you all in advance.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Since your doctor has given you medication and a certain diet to follow then she should have given you a referral to a qualified dietitian who specialty is working with people with your condition to help with this issue.
  • sandyn2
    sandyn2 Posts: 8
    Options
    I think you're there already. Your doctor may be concerned about insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome causing more than usual metabolic trouble with intake of low fiber carbs but I doubt your doc is concerned about the number of carbs in veggies. S/he wants you to cut out the 'white stuff' and sugars to avoid spikes in your blood sugar.

If you have increased insulin resistance, your body used to need 2u of insulin to bring down your blood sugar a certain amount but now it may need 10 or more units of insulin to do the same work. Increased insulin production wreaks havoc. Simple sugars and fiber-free carbs are going to cause spikes in your blood sugar (and corresponding spikes in insulin levels) that you will not experience eating fiber rich veggies but watch out a little more for fruits.

If you'd like to search for more info, look into the glycemic index/ glycemic load and choose foods that have a lower glycemic index/ load. These sites may be good places to start: http://www.diabeticcareservices.com/diabetes-education/prediabetes-and-insulin-resistance or http://www.glycemicindex.com/ and there is a chart here: http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

I hope that helps.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I would also focus on lean protein (you said "meat" so I wanted to specify). With your triglycerides that high, I would think avoiding saturated fat is a good idea. That's what my folks had to do.

If it's possible, I'd ask your doc for a referral to a nutritionist. It would be easier on you.

Don't think of all carbs as bad, it seems like you're avoiding simple carbs and sugar. Again, you can ask your doctor to clarify--were you given a target to hit? 50g of carbs a day? 75?

Smoothies ... lots of greens, carrots can add sweetness without the sugar. And if the color bothers you, raspberries make anything red. :) And they're lower in sugar than most fruits and they have fiber. Try some protein powder, too. Just be sure to read the label as some have a lot of carbs and/or added sugar.

Good luck! :)