Need some suggestions...

Options
Hello All!
So I recently had some blood work done and my triglycerides were at 654 during fasting. My doc has put me on metformin 1500mg a day. She also wants me to cut out all added sugars and do a very low carb diet until my numbers get more stabilized. The problem I am having is finding fruits and veggies that are low in carbs. I eliminated all flours and processed foods, so basically I am eating fruits, veggies, meats and beans. I just need some ideas. I have recently started making smoothies with my nutrabullet but turns out that bananas and blueberries have high carbs. I just need some ideas about what is considered low carb. If you can help with what has worked for you regarding a low carb diet that would be wonderful! Thank you all in advance.

*i posted this in the general weight loss group but I think this would be more fitting in this group.*

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    All fruits have sugar. Some doctors allow one fruit a day.
    These are low carb veggies:
    sprouts, alfalfa and other small seeds
    Greens – lettuce, spinach, chard, romaine
    Hearty Greens - collards, mustard greens, kale,
    Radicchio and endive
    Herbs - parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme
    Bok Choy, Bamboo Shoots, Celery, Radishes
    Mushrooms
    Cabbage
    Jicama
    Avocado
    Asparagus
    Okra
    Cucumbers (or pickles without added sugars)
    Green Beans and Wax Beans
    Fennel
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli

Think of your meals as having a protein and two low carb vegetables.
    Remember to eat fat and oils. If you take out carbs, you have to add fat. And your body needs it anyway.

Here is a crustless Ham and Broccoli quiche that will work with what your doc wants.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/low-carb-crustless-ham-broccoli-quiche-87088
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Low carb veggies, roasted in the oven, are fantastic. I love brussel sprouts (not totally sure of their carb content though), broccoli, cauliflower and kale this way.

Cauliflower makes an awesome low carb substitute for mashed potatoes and rice.

Stir fries with no rice or noodles are awesome, or you could get a spiralizer and have zucchini or other vegetable noodles.

For smoothies, an avocado is great for a creamy texture without using a higher carb banana, though for myself I would watch the calories.