Wine Tasting Party, could use some suggestions.

RoadDog
RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
Okay. A lady at my wife's work announced her retirement last week. She told her boss (which is also my wife's boss) that she didn't want any big event planned at work. What she would really like is a Wine Tasting Party at Mike and Jan's house, if it's alright with us. It's next Friday. Still working on the menu. Will serve them in order as they open each botlle of wine.

Think this is it:

Asian Salad with Sesame Ginger Dressing

Lobster Egg Rolls

Sausage and Shrimp Stuffed Mushrooms

Avocado Soup with Lump Crab Meat

Raspberry and Lemon Sorbet with frozen Mint Leaves as Garnish

Espresso

Here's where I would like some opinions:

I have a pantry full of specialty dishes that I have collected over the years.

1. Should I serve each dish separately, or, would you think the presentation would be better if I put the Asian Salad in the middle of a long rectangular plate with the Egg roll and Stuffed Mushroom on either side?

2. I'd like to garnish the Avocado soup with a single deep fried chip of some kind. Carrot? Sweet Potato? Slice of Avoacado? Other suggestion?

3. I would like to make a Rolled Pizza bread with Baked parmesan, garlic and fresh basil baked in it. Think that is too heavy with everything else? I would just serve the bread hot in a basket and leave it on the table thoughout the meal.

Thanks,

Also, my 17 yr old has asked me to cook dinner for her and her date for the prom on the next night, but she already gave me a simple menu to prepare. No creativity necessary.

Mike

Replies

• ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Wow I wish I lived near you guys!! I have no suggests I am terribly sorry for that. But just wanted to say, sounds specatular on this end!!
  • pandalady8
    pandalady8 Posts: 34 Member
    The presentation idea sounds lovely, so go with that! As for the chip compliment for the soup, I can't say I know much about avocado soup, though I'd say something NOT avocado just for some contrast. Sweet potato is always a favorite of mine! As for the bread issue, I don't think it would be too heavy - and even if it is, you're not forcing people to eat it! :laugh:

All I can say is... anytime you're on the east coast and feel like cooking, let me know! My mouth is watering just reading your menu! :love:
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    I think that all sounds great. I would go with a sweet potato chip on the side of the soup. And, personally, I would do separate serving dishes. Also, bread? Great idea for those that may need to soak up a little of that wine. :drinker: Sounds amazing! Have fun!!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    I have no suggestions, just love the new pic RoadDog.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    1. Should I serve each dish separately, or, would you think the presentation would be better if I put the Asian Salad in the middle of a long rectangular plate with the Egg roll and Stuffed Mushroom on either side?
    ** Since you said you would be serving each dish as the corresponding bottle of wine is opened I think you should present each dish individually - I like bynsky's idea of the egg roll's cut on a bias!

2. I'd like to garnish the Avocado soup with a single deep fried chip of some kind. Carrot? Sweet Potato? Slice of Avoacado? Other suggestion?
    ** Seconding the beet chip, good color and flavor contrast/pair there. Or you could also use the eggroll skins sliced into strips and seasoned with chili and lime and made into chips.

3. I would like to make a Rolled Pizza bread with Baked parmesan, garlic and fresh basil baked in it. Think that is too heavy with everything else? I would just serve the bread hot in a basket and leave it on the table thoughout the meal.
    ** This is ALWAYS awesome with wine... as is a pepperoni/cheese/crackers tray. :bigsmile:

I see you already have the sorbet but if you will be serving a nice oak aged port (for dessert?) I would also suggest dark chocolate brownies or triple chocolate cookies... both pair AMAZINGLY well with an oakey port. :drinker:
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Since this is a Wine Tasting Party ..the focus would be on the wine and teh experience of it with the food. I would do seperate serving dishes and bring them out only as the accompanying wine was brought out. You could even have the guests first try the wine without the food -- then again after a bite of the food to see the affect the food has on the tasting of the wines.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    For the avocado soup I think you could use a cheese chip in there instead of a vegitable... something like this
    http://www.yumsugar.com/52-Weeks-Baking-Cheese-Chips-302546
  • RoadDog
    For the avocado soup I think you could use a cheese chip in there instead of a vegitable... something like this
    http://www.yumsugar.com/52-Weeks-Baking-Cheese-Chips-302546

I like it. Going to make some this weekend and see how they come out. Thanks.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    I agree with everyone else that the dishes should be served seperately. That way your guests can savor the wine and experrience how the wine compliments the food.

Next thing... Can I come too?? :happy:
  • RoadDog
    I agree with everyone else that the dishes should be served seperately. That way your guests can savor the wine and experrience how the wine compliments the food.

Next thing... Can I come too?? :happy:

Absolutely. About 1900 miles NW. If your front tires hit saltwater, you went 100 miles too far.
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    So what is the dress for this event? I'll be a bit early to help taste test.
    3000 miles did you say, I better run then. :)
  • RoadDog
    So what is the dress for this event? I'll be a bit early to help taste test.
    3000 miles did you say, I better run then. :)

Dress will be a little elegant, I suppose.

Better get a move on. Wear something blue.
  • RoadDog
    Final Menu

-Asian Salad with Sesame Ginger Dressing

-Lobster Egg Rolls & Shrimp Stuffed Mushrooms (same plate)

-Pizza Bread stuffed with fresh Basil, Parmesan and herbs (will put it in oven just as they arrive, so they can smell it baking)

-Avocado Soup with Lump Crab Meat

-Raspberry and Lemon Sorbet with frozen Mint Leaves as Garnish

-Espresso

That ought to do it. Got to go shoppping tonight.

Doing a dinner for my daughter's Winter Formal the next night. She has asked for Baby Back Ribs, Egg Rolls, Brocolli and Roasted Corn. She asked my wife to make Double chocolate cake. If the Pizza roll turns out, I will make it for Holland the next night.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.