Diet/Exercise books

Options
Losing2Live1989
Losing2Live1989 Posts: 423 Member
I was wanting to know if anyone had any good books they found and love or they plan to read about diet or exercis, or health, nurtution, weight loss, healthy cookbooks....

I wanna see what titles we can come up with!

Replies

• kelzz193
    kelzz193 Posts: 120
    Options
    South Beach book changed my entire outloook on food!
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    Skinny B*tch! (3) different books....1 is a cookbook

Hungry Girl
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I am making my way through Strength Training by National Strength & Conditioning Assoc.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in getting into running at all - Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running is GREAT!
  • amstein18
    Options
    jackie warner - this is why you're fat (and how to get thin forever) :smile:
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    YOU on A Diet by Dr. Oz

It is good at explaining why people gain weight and how my body processes food. I think there are recipes in the back too! I haven't gotten through the whole thing yet but my friend who lost 50 lbs read it and recommended it.
  • PanicAtTheBuffet
    Options
    The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook by Tosca Reno

Highly recommend.
  • fitnessGETZeasy
    fitnessGETZeasy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises. It has 619 different strength training exercises illustrated with color photographs and very specific instructions. No more boring gym workouts!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    The book Women Food and God by Geneen Roth is a great read if you suffer from food addiction. I read it in January and have binged ONCE since. The book was life changing for me.

Here's an excerpt from Oprah.com:

http://www.oprah.com/health/An-Excerpt-from-Geneen-Roths-Women-Food-And-God

Charmagne
  • Losing2Live1989
    Losing2Live1989 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    those are a lot of great titles thanks...anyone that wants to add feel free
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I've got a bunch of diet books. They work best when I load them all up in my back pack and go for a hike.
  • utamore
    Options
    I am making my way through Strength Training by National Strength & Conditioning Assoc.
    I recently ordered this off of Amazon--any good?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I 2nd: You On A Diet by Dr. Oz. It is very informative.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    I recently ordered this off of Amazon--any good?
    Well....the first chapter is on muscle physiology. I read it, then re-read it. I got the sweats for fear of a quiz. Epic failures in high school memories came flooding back. I remembered why I hated biology.
    I moved on and found more digestible information. It is a very good read. I will tackle chapter 1 again. Often when i read about supplements, it is referring to many of these terms. I'd rather make an informed and skeptical decision.
    Hopefully that answers your question.
  • utamore
    Options
    Well....the first chapter is on muscle physiology. I read it, then re-read it. I got the sweats for fear of a quiz. Epic failures in high school memories came flooding back. I remembered why I hated biology.
    I moved on and found more digestible information. It is a very good read. I will tackle chapter 1 again. Often when i read about supplements, it is referring to many of these terms. I'd rather make an informed and skeptical decision.
    lol I know what you mean--I've had similar reactions reading similar material. I really just want to read it to get a better understanding of getting the most out of my resistance training and also getting some ideas about how to make it more holistic. I mean, I'd like to think I do a good job hitting all the muscle groups and using good form and stuff, but it'd be nice to know some of the foundations so I can build better routines for myself and accomplish my goals.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I've got a bunch of diet books. They work best when I load them all up in my back pack and go for a hike.

hahahaha THIS made me laugh!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

hahahaha THIS made me laugh!
  • binary_jester
    Options
    lol I know what you mean--I've had similar reactions reading similar material. I really just want to read it to get a better understanding of getting the most out of my resistance training and also getting some ideas about how to make it more holistic. I mean, I'd like to think I do a good job hitting all the muscle groups and using good form and stuff, but it'd be nice to know some of the foundations so I can build better routines for myself and accomplish my goals.
    I agree. I would rather design my own rather than use the flavor of the month in Men's Health of Fitness RX
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno
    The Abs Diet by David Zincenko
    The Body Fat Solution by Tom Venuto
    Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler
    The Men's Big Book of Exercises (Men's Health or Women's Health)
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites are:

Half-Assed: A Weight-Loss Memoir
    Fit from Within: 101 Simple Secrets to Change Your Body and Your Life
    Passing for Thin: Losing Half My Weight and Finding My Self
    Finally Thin!: How I Lost More Than 200 Pounds and Kept Them Off--and How You Can, Too
    703: How I Lost More Than a Quarter Ton and Gained a Life
    Designated Fat Girl: A Memoir

All in all I find the BEST weight loss books for me aren't the ones that tell you what to eat and what ways to exercise - but the ones written by women who where super obese and who lost all the weight through diet, exercise, and sheer force of will. I already know what to eat, I already know how to move my body and exercise, but what I find that helps me lose the weight most is the reminder that there are people just like me who have done it - who've gone from super obese to slim. ...I guess that's why I enjoy watching the Biggest Loser and the Joy Fit Club too. lol

By the way, thanks so much for this post! It's great! I am looking forward to checking out other people's recommendations! :D