Is it possible to be fit and healthy and overweight?

Options
2»

Replies

• meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I've had more medical issues pop up since losing weight and being smack in the middle of "normal" on the BMI than I ever had when I was 310 (which is to say, I never had ANY issues at that weight). I was much healthier then.
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yes a lot of people become fit and barley loose any weight. if you can be normal weight and unhealthy the same vice versa. Remember there is nothing with excess fat, it's excess fat in your midsection that''s bad. My aunty has a huge butt and hips, but a tiny waist. She is overweight by BMI, but overral healthy.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No. The overweight and the underweight like to say it's healthy...a lot. They say it a lot, lol. But there are health risks involved with both.

For every extra pound of you, your body has to lie down a lot more blood vessels. I think it's five miles for each pound. Not certain about the number, would have to look it up...but I'm pretty sure that's it. That sounds like a lot, but you've got enough of them in there to wrap around the world, so five miles isn't much. But it's still more work for your poor heart. That's just one little thing.

Being overweight or underweight is NOT good for you,regardless of how you feel or whether you've been diagnosed with a major problem yet.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. There are some female trainers at my gym who are big girls. Definitely pushing 200 lbs and over. I always found that...interesting.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Here's the thing: being overweight/obese makes it statistically more likely that you will have certain health problems and a shorter life span. But there's a HUGE difference between what is true statistically and what is true individually.

Case in point - myself. I have been overweight my whole life. However by every test they can do I am the healthiest person you'll find. My blood pressure is perfect, my resting heart rate is 55 bpm, my VO2 max is off the charts excellent. Cholesterol, blood sugar, you name it. When I had a routine respiratory exam for work the doctor said I literally had the healthiest lungs she'd ever seen. The only chronic medical problem I have is a bad knee.... from when I slammed it into a pipe so hard the pipe broke. Did I mention my bones are unusually dense?

I'm a statistical anomaly but I'm not the only one. A "typical" person my weight would not be so healthy... but there are an awful lot of atypical people in the world.