stopped counting calories and lost weight?

Options
has anyone stopped counting calories and just used portion control and exercise and still lost weight? Sometimes I feel like I am stressing over the counting of calories and that causes me to not lose weight. What do you all think about this?

Replies

• WonderLady
    Options
    kinda stress too:( even eating sweets or chewing gums have to be counted.sips of juice.
  • Dan54
    Dan54 Posts: 15
    Options
    Its all about changing your eating and exercise habits. Counting calories is just a way to focus your attention on what and how your eating. Portion control is just another way of doing this. As long as it works.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I think taking a break once in awhile is good!
    It can be really stressful trying to keep track of every detail. :grumble: :noway:

See how you do without logging for awhile.
    Then get back on if the diet wavers too far............ :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Portion control is counting calories really - just in a different frame of mind. If it makes you less stressed out and it works, why not! Calorie counting in the beginning just helps people learn what servings are and where hidden calories are. After awhile you can just do it in your head because you know what portions should be and that things like peanut butter, mayo, and salad dressing add up fast!
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    i was stuck a few months ago. i stopped counting and just used common sense... and then lost about 1.5 a week for about 2 months or so. then i got stuck again... and went back to counting. the body is a crazy thing! i hear ya about the stress of counting. just gotta find out what works for you!
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I think do what works best for YOU!
    I had a similar situation when I was trying to weigh myself only once a week. It was so much anxiety that I was wanting to eat more... Once I realized that, I said forget it. I hop on every chance I get. I know my weight fluxuations and weighing often kind of keeps me in check and motivated.
    As long as those portions are healthy choices and indeed the correct portions, you should be ok. I have been using this time on MFP to figure out what those portions look like. ie: how much is in the bowl, a handful, on the plate. As well as how many calories of "[food of choice]" looks like. I'm hoping that I wont have to 'count' calories forever and that I will learn from the tools on the site.

I also made the calorie count more like a game- to see if I could stay under the number, how close I can get without going over. If I go over, I can't stress about it. I've learned to let go of it. THAT helped he incredibly. If I looked at it the way many people do, I would be stressed out about it too.
  • kpepper07
    Options
    I think counting calories to me really makes me watch what I eat even if it is fruit. Sometimes you can eat even too much fruit. Although I really hate to count calories this site makes it so easy to do it. They have a lot of name brand foods to add so it takes the guess out of it! I like that at the end of the night I have a few calories left I can have a glass of wine...................however everyone has to find what works for them. Good luck!! Either way you are doing a good thing.
  • melodymartinez
    Options
    I have been taking small breaks from logging/counting. Like a day or two. I notice that I don't overeat during my breaks. It just gives me a break from my obsessive worrying :) Definitely try it out for a day or two and see if it recharges you. I usually go right back to it after a couple days off. It seems to be working for me.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I sort of did that last night. I cooked dinner and didn't really think about what I was making or eating. I stuck with a small portion of meat and filled up on veggies and mashed potatoes. Then I went back and added it after eating, and I discovered that I had done really well. Usually I pre-plan every bite so that I don't go over. It was nice to discover that I'm learning something.