Need tips for strength training

fitinyoga14
fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
This is mostly directed toward women who are at a high fitness level. My question is: What are some extra tips you may have in increasing strength in major muscles and creating definition? My body fat is already at a low enough level, and I train with weights (working on using increased weight w/ less reps) about 3 days a week (cardio in between), however I am aiming to look more muscular and it doesn't seem to be working. I'm looking for tips perhaps dealing with the work-out schedule, work-out length, amount of weight, adjustments in diet, etc.

Your help is much appreciated :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    There are alot of variables involved which make it difficult to give you a difinitive answer but I'll do the best I can.

What specific exercises are you doing in your program? When you say "Increased weight w/ less reps" what exactly do you mean? I.E...are you working to fatigue each time? How is your form and range of motion throughout the exercise?

Often when I'm going consultations and people ask me "How many reps do I do?", I always respond "How many CAN you do?"

People say "Do 3 sets of 12" or whatnot, but what they rarely explain is that 3 sets of 12 means if it physically impossible no matter how hard you try to do 13.

That means you pick a weight for which it gets challenging around 7 or 8....then if you push hard...you can maybe get out another 3 or 4...without sacrificing your form or cheating.

If you've got the covered and are already working to max...I'd suggest you take an extra day off between your strength workouts to give yourself more recovery time. Remember, it's not during the workout that you get stronger. You get stronger as the body rests and prepares itself for the next workout.

I've had clients break plateaus and double their results by going to 2x a week
This discussion has been closed.