Cold weather walking/running gear.

Options
Ok Ladies and Gents I need some Plus size Cold weather active wear. Does anyone have an suggestions. Not feeling all the super heavy layers while I am trying to keep up with the mini sled dog.

I want to be in something light but warm so i can move move move. Please please any suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• bjerkins
    bjerkins Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Under armour. It keeps you warm, but I still have trouble venturing out in the cold. Winter is tough for me.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've been using Duofold for years - very lightweight, warm and wicking, which is especially important in the cold weather - you don't want to wick that sweat away from you right away or else it sucks out your body heat.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I wear a long sleeve shirt, a hoodie, a HAT is a MUST!!, and sometimes gloves. I am cold with just a hoodie on at first but if you are walking or running at a good pace you will start sweating anyway and get warm. I have always heard the motto "If you are walking or running outside, dress like it is 20 degrees warmer than it actually is."
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    What about footwear? I'm always nervous about slipping on the ice or getting wet sneaks and my winter boots aren't good for working out (I have wellies).

Charmagne
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    There are these things out there called Yakattacks or something (a friend has a pair and she swears by them); they're metal bottom with "teeth" you slip onto your boots or shoes, and you get alot of traction. And, according to her, they're light enough so you can walk easily.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You're talking about Yaktrax.I am a huge fan of these! I highly recommend them if you live in an area with a lot of snow and ice. They can be found at most sporting goods stores. My local hardware store even sells them.

http://www.yaktrax.com/
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Even better than Yaktrax, I find, is a product called Stabilicers (http://www.32north.com/). I am just back from visiting my friend in Alaska, and we were completely iced in over Thanksgiving - inches of glare ice on the roads and trails. I wore the Stabilicers Originals on my hiking boots -- they have proper cleats, which you can buy separately if some get lost, unlike the Lite model or the Yaktrax -- and was able to hike at completely normal walking speed on surfaces for which ice skates would otherwise have been more appropriate. Great things.
  • Concordborn
    Concordborn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a new running fleece thing that I got recently called "Smartwool" that I LOVE. Ran a half-marathon in Chicago after Thanksgiving, 34 degrees out and was rolling up the sleeves to cool down! I usually use a hat, long sleeve tech shirt, pull-over fleece on the top. Don't worry about your legs too much if you're out running or heavy walking, they'll be doing the most work and warm up fast, just some running pants should be fine.