Increase calories for work out?

Options
Maybe you guys could helpe me out. So currently I am intaking 2,000ish calories a day. This might seem low but all I do is wlak and mile the sit all day. Anyways i plan on re-joining my gym and start doing high heart-rate work outs on top of my walks. I am assuming I will need to increas my calorie intake. How do I calculate how much to increase?

If any one is wondering my stats: 5'9 220 age 18

Replies

• nusiax
    nusiax Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello 2fatformypants.

There are two acceptable ways. The most is you stay at your calorie intake of 2,000 per day and lose weight a bit faster. MFP set me at 2,200. I currently stay in the range of 1800 and 2000 per day and perform cardio daily and usually burn 1,000 plus calories., not a rapid weight loss. But also not slow. You will see a result monthly.

The second is to set you goal, and eat back what you burn during your workout. MFP calculates this for you. Like I have my daily intake set at 1850. But I have a range of 1800 and 2000. So if I burn 1,000 calories, MFP will increase my daily intake to 2,850.

I prefer to stay on my 1800 to 2000 calories per day and I am losing approximate 3 KG per month.

Hope the helps and wish you the best on your journey.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You need to work out your BMR & TDEE!

This will then tell you how many calories you need to eat to lose weight, for your height & stats!

Everyone's is different according to there stats & exercise level.

You can find lots of calculators online

A lot of people use this one

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~2200 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for a week. If you lose 1-2 lbs, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few weeks, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.

Allan