working out at eve and then eating back calories

Options

Replies

• liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Eat a snack (energy bar/ apple/ boiled eggs what ever you want) on the way to the gym for fuel. Then eat another when you are done. It doesn't have to add up to your total burn.

Chances that you are off on the actual amount burned are pretty high. (Sorry not trying to be negative)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I like the ideas already provided of eating those calories the next day or shift your "day" from noon to noon.

Another idea is to drink calorie dense liquids if you do not want to eat. After long runs it takes me a good while to get my appetite back but if I don't eat something I crash. Sports drinks (powerade), and milk are my favorites but there are lots of options.
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would just think of using the 24 hour period like a PP suggested. So your reset time isn't midnight, it is 9 am.

And I don't like to eat after I do an evening workout either. While it may work for some people, for me going to bed on a full stomach = not getting a good night sleep.
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My doctor has me on a 1500 calorie diet. I specifically asked her about how to manage my calories if I burn 500 to 600 working out and she said that she does not believe in that method. She advised me not to eat back calories that I've burned.

so you're netting around 1000?

time for a new doctor.

I net about 1200 calories which is where I need to be.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    My doctor has me on a 1500 calorie diet. I specifically asked her about how to manage my calories if I burn 500 to 600 working out and she said that she does not believe in that method. She advised me not to eat back calories that I've burned.

time for a new doctor.

1500-500 or 600 = 900 or 1000?
    are you averaging workout days and rest days?
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Your body will need macro nutrients to recover, and it is best not to wait until the next day. From my perspective, a decent amount of protein and simple carbs that will spike your insulin to quickly transport the nutrients is preferred shortly after my workout. Oh and get a new Doctor.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on 1200 (drs orders) and I burn 600-700 a workout. However, I go to the gym in the eve and I don't want to eat back my calories prior to burning them, so I end up not eating them back...

What do you do? I can't be the only one....

With all do respect to your doctor, I doubt he intended you to maintain a 1,200 diet while busting your butt at the gym. 1,200 while not going to the gym maybe. Maybe consider a 2nd opinion from a nutritionist.

Nutrient timing doesn't matter, you don't have to consume all of your calories prior to going to the gym. Eat when you are hungry. You can eat all of your calories prior to working out, after, right before bed, for breakfast, or no breakfast, etc etc.
  • tamazinglee
    Options

time for a new doctor.

I asked my doctor what to do if I burned 500 to 600 calories working out HOWEVER, I never burn that many. When I asked the question, I was just throwing numbers out since I really had no idea how much I'd actually burn once I got started on my worout plan.

The important thing is to create a deficit - either by eating less calories, burning more calories or a combination of both.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

time for a new doctor.

I asked my doctor what to do if I burned 500 to 600 calories working out HOWEVER, I never burn that many. When I asked the question, I was just throwing numbers out since I really had no idea how much I'd actually burn once I got started on my worout plan.

The important thing is to create a deficit - either by eating less calories, burning more calories or a combination of both.

while a deficit is important, when health is your priority getting enough is just as important as not getting too much
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Pre fuel, three hours before, so your workout is really efficient and you don't dip into lean body mass for energy.

I burn 400/600 cals an hour depending, so I make sure I fill the tank.

If I've weight trained I get some protein after with my carbs.

It's best to replete as soon as after exercise so the body can recover and repair quickly ready for the next day.

Be kind to your body, you only get one.
  • Springfield1970
    Options

time for a new doctor.

It's a shame they don't teach maths in medical school......
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

time for a new doctor.

yeah I'm seriously confused at this point.

*nerd flail*
  • tamazinglee
    Options

time for a new doctor.

*nerd flail*

I'm just telling my story based on what my doctor said. Sorry that you all don't agree.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on 1200 (drs orders) and I burn 600-700 a workout. However, I go to the gym in the eve and I don't want to eat back my calories prior to burning them, so I end up not eating them back...
    My doctor told me not to eat back exercise calories. You can see from my ticker how well it's working for me.
    Most people
    1 - overestimate calories burned
    2 - underestimate how much they eat

If you're really hungry (shaky, lightheaded) after the gym, have 1/3 to 1/2 of what you think you burned. In my case, that would usually be a piece of fruit and serving of nonfat yogurt. But it's not supposed to be an everyday thing.

Since your doctor is monitoring your low-calorie diet, ask her if she wants you to eat back any of what you're spending in exercise.

ETA: re: net calories & not getting enough nutrients
    In the last 30 days, according to MFP, my net calories have been below 1000 15 days, 1000-1500 9 days, and 1500-2000 6 days.
    My actual calories have been right around 1650, except for 6 days when they were higher (usually around 2000).
    My doctor is completely satisfied with my progress, my bloodwork is fine, I feel fine, etc.
    I've lost 10 lb in the last month, 20 lb in the last 3 months.
    Ignore net calories.
  • tamazinglee
    Options
    My doctor told me not to eat back exercise calories. You can see from my ticker how well it's working for me.
    Most people
    1 - overestimate calories burned
    2 - underestimate how much they eat

If you're really hungry (shaky, lightheaded) after the gym, have 1/3 to 1/2 of what you think you burned. In my case, that would usually be a piece of fruit and serving of nonfat yogurt. But it's not supposed to be an everyday thing.

Since your doctor is monitoring your low-calorie diet, ask her if she wants you to eat back any of what you're spending in exercise.

I think I'll stick with my doctors orders too!
  • Springfield1970
    Options

time for a new doctor.

*nerd flail*

You think you're nerdy? For a minute back there I worried whether you brushed your teeth after you'd eaten that bowl of food in bed??
  • KCMission
    KCMission Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The problem, IMHO, with doctors these days is that they get absolutely NO training in nutrition,hence the dangerous recommendation to eat VLCD. As the kid of one of those said dr's I have this argument with him continuously.

Having said that, OP, you know your body best. If you are light headed, fatigued, not feeling well, etc. etc. it could be your body telling you to fuel it. Just listen to your body and do what is best for YOU. It would be in everyone's best interest to realize dr's are not know-it-alls - they assess by the information YOU provide, and - OMG - they make mistakes... quite regularly. Listen to your body, it knows best.

Best of luck :)
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Everyone assumes we say the things we do about these reckless diets to be evil and destructive, the truth is that we all started somewhere. I was recklessly dieting at like 1800 calories at 300lbs with that "a calorie is a calorie" bull crap, well long story short I lost a lot of lean body mass because I was uneducated and reckless. Now I can cut weight at 2600 calories, because I train hard, eat the right macro's not just magically believing a calorie is a calorie, go ahead diet on 2600 calories of 90% carbs and fat, see how your body responds. Stop listening to these Doctors, just because they have a 50% chance of prescribing the right antibiotic doesn't mean they are qualified to tell you how to diet.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Everyone assumes we say the things we do about these reckless diets to be evil and destructive, the truth is that we all started somewhere. I was recklessly dieting at like 1800 calories at 300lbs with that "a calorie is a calorie" bull crap, well long story short I lost a lot of lean body mass because I was uneducated and reckless. Now I can cut weight at 2600 calories, because I train hard, eat the right macro's not just magically believing a calorie is a calorie, go ahead diet on 2600 calories of 90% carbs and fat, see how your body responds. Stop listening to these Doctors, just because they have a 50% chance of prescribing the right antibiotic doesn't mean they are qualified to tell you how to diet.
    No one who says a calorie is a calorie thinks nutrition doesn't also matter. All it means is 200 calories of ice cream will not make you any more fat than 200 calories of chicken breast. If I only have 200 calories left for the day and need protein, I'll go for the chicken. If I have 200 calories left for the day but don't need more protein, I'll go for the ice cream. That's all it means.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Do you see how your doctor and the OP's doctor might have different plans?

For example, if you normally work out 500 calories/day (let's say, for the sake of discussion), and your TDEE is 2000, then you are cutting 500 through a cut in calories and another 500 by increasing activity that much, for a projected deficit of 1000 or 2 lb/week loss. (If you actually hit that number every day, of course.)

OP has been told to eat 1200 and eat back her workout calories. She apparently does about 350/day in exercise on average. Let's say her TDEE is 2200. If that were so, she also would be at a deficit of 1000, or 2 lbs per week, and not eating back would not only mean that she was netting quite a bit less than even you (again, assuming those high exercise calories every day) but would have a significantly higher deficit (1350).

It's really not so complicated to see that "eating back" or not is essentially the same thing as long as you end up with the same deficit. Whether it's right or not all depends on the method used.