Question About Christmas & Teachers

Options
2»

Replies

• DorothyNorrington
    DorothyNorrington Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    As a special education teacher at an elementary school, I often have students and parents that want to show their appreciation. I find that the things I enjoy the most are pictures or letters from my students, and thank you cards from the parents. These are easily kept, and don't take up much space. Also, when I do have a rough day, it is nice to pull them out and reread them to get that boost that I need to make it through the rough patch.

If you are sure you want to buy something, then I recommend doing things for the classrom. A donated book, supplies like erasers, and pencils, or tissues and hand sanitizer. Teachers often have to purchase these things with their own money and it is helpful.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I agree, if you brought the treats in, I'm sure it would be fine. I, myself, wouldn't have a probablem receiving a gift like that from a parent or a student that I've gotten to know really well. It's not that teachers think the worst of students, it's just a matter of self-preservation. I know when my dad was in high school a whole group of his friends put ex-lax in the teachers' cookies. One faculty member got so sick she had to be hospitalized. True story! Of course, on the whole, I'm sure the students are honest, it's just you have to be on the lookout for that one that just might not like you...;-) I wouldn't toss our your goodies if you're going to deliver them.

Shannon
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I agree, if you brought the treats in, I'm sure it would be fine. I, myself, wouldn't have a probablem receiving a gift like that from a parent or a student that I've gotten to know really well. It's not that teachers think the worst of students, it's just a matter of self-preservation. I know when my dad was in high school a whole group of his friends put ex-lax in the teachers' cookies. One faculty member got so sick she had to be hospitalized. True story! Of course, on the whole, I'm sure the students are honest, it's just you have to be on the lookout for that one that just might not like you...;-) I wouldn't toss our your goodies if you're going to deliver them.

Shannon

I have never heard of something like that before. I'm not shocked really (some kids are just so bad) but I AM horrified. Scary stuff. This is why I need not be a teacher....not to middle school or high school aged kids at least....I'm far too gullible. :P

Well I made the Christmas tree cake pops tonight. Its my first try at this particular shape and style. These are for a party I'm attending tomorrow. They were so time consuming that I've decided that for my group of teachers I will stick with cake balls. And YES..... they will be hand delivered. :)

Kudos to all you teachers out there! Teachers and nurses bear their own set of wings.......no doubt!
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    #1 best gift -- a thank you card
    #2 best gift -- a gift card to a coffee shop/donut shop/book chain/restaurant group
    #3 best gift -- gift card for a spa treatment/night at the movies/video rentals
    #4 best gift -- a gift for the classroom like a puzzle, book or board game for indoor recesses

#4... I vote for this one! I actually work as a nanny for a teacher. She gets all kinds of gifts, but her most appreciated are the gift certificates to the teacher's supply stores. Office Depot, Staples, Office Max are some of the bigger chains, but don't overlook those parent/teacher stores that are small businesses.