Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lexapro and weight loss?

I have read tons (mainly) of stories about people getting on anti-depressants, including lexapro (which I just started taking) and gaining all sorts of weight, (which is part of the reason I'm depressed in the first place). Does anyone have a story in which they didn't gain weight, where it was at least maintained or lost? Something to maybe ease my mind on this matter... :smile:

and if you did lose, or continue to lose, did you have to significantly cut you calories from what they were before (if you were on your weight loss journey prior to starting the antidepressant)?

A little back ground - I am an emotional eater and have issues with stress and depression and binge eating and eating whatever I want to make me happy because of it (I haven't denied myself anything in at least half a year), which in turn, I gain weight and become more depressed. so I'm hoping getting on the medicine will help with that to a degree.

Any advice will help!

Thanks!

Replies

• raesayhey
    raesayhey Posts: 13 Member
    Hey Amber :)
    So I was also hesitant to start medication because of stories I've read about people gaining weight. I think that there is a higher chance of weight gain when people treat their depression and it is not entirely due to the antidepressants. Depression can often make you not want to eat or enjoy food and going out, so when they start living life again they gain weight.

I have found that I binge less when I'm less depressed, so being on antidepressants allows me to have more normal eating habits. I've been on sertraline in the past for about a year, and have been on Cymgen (duloxetine) and Wellbutrin for the last four months and have not notice weight gain on any of them. The Wellbutrin actually made me lose a couple of kilos and is known to have that effect.

So, I guess what I'm saying, is that not all the stories are about weight gain. It's worth speaking to your doctor/psychiatrist about what would be best, because there are a lot of options and you will probably end up trying a few things to find what works for you. And hopefully you can find something that works emotionally and doesn't make you gain. Good luck!
  • Ryoku
    Ryoku Posts: 35 Member
    I was on Lexapro several years ago and actually was able to control my eating better. However, I eat when I'm depressed. And by eat I mean everything in site. So I found my binging was actually easier to control. I was able to focus on eating healthy and not get depressed when the scale didn't move. It really just depends on the person and how your food and depression work together.
  • Gia6280
    Gia6280 Posts: 49 Member
    I am on it and i actually found that i eat less. I dont think it's the medication itself that makes people gain weight, more so the way they deal with stress and depression, by eating more. It actually seems to be more of an appetite suppresant for me.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    I was on Lexapro for almost 10 years and didn't really see any change in going on or coming off of it (I stopped taking it more than a year ago).

What I DID notice was that my blood pressure came down to normal, and this was before I lost any weight or doing any exercise. So I was in the like 2% of the population that is affected negatively by the drug.

Drugs do weird things to everyone; everyone is different.
  • Girl,
    I have bipolar and borderline personality disorder. I'm on Welbutrin (depression, anxiety), Limectal (mood stabilizer), Kolonpin (extreme anxiety and panic attacks), Ambien, and Trazadone (I have horrible insomnia) I found personally that medication can actually boost your 'want' for change. The worst Lexapro does is make you feel hungry, you just have to maintain your want and goals. It's all about mindset, and if that's difficult (which it often can be) ask your doctor for another alternative!

Good luck girlie,

Whitney